Ideas for a blade needed.

Draphin

Sr Member
I have started work on a Thundar The Barbarian Sun Sword and I have the handle Turned out of oak. I just need to assemble it. the next big bit will be the Blade of the Sword. Any Ideas would be helpful. I can cut a shape out of clay for casting but how to light it and even how to cast it is the big Question I am faced with. I have been thinking of a system to attach the blade to the sword as well. Once I have a pic of the System I will post it till then check out my this Sketch-up sample I threw together.

You might have an easier time cutting it out of plexiglass and sanding it to be a little frosted. Yellow LEDs in the handle should help out as well.

This has been on my "to do" list for quite a few years now, and that was my plan.

A dremel, a belt sander, and some cutting discs would make short work of something like 1/4" plexi, and you can even get yellow in cell cast (which handles the cutting a LOT better than extruded will).

Chris

will there be a all dark room with black lights? then just paint a sword with tide. you know the cleaning agent. that SHOULD work.

you made a handle before consulting us? well, what if you want to make a blade out of a solid piece of plastic,and need a hollowed out handle to hide a battery and a bulb?

is there a glow in the dark paint around? i hear the stuff is toxic though......

neon lights are expensive.

a painted yellow sword, with a mini light shining on it from either side of the handle base??

will there be a all dark room with black lights? then just paint a sword with tide. you know the cleaning agent. that SHOULD work.

you made a handle before consulting us? well, what if you want to make a blade out of a solid piece of plastic,and need a hollowed out handle to hide a battery and a bulb?

is there a glow in the dark paint around? i hear the stuff is toxic though......

neon lights are expensive.

a painted yellow sword, with a mini light shining on it from either side of the handle base??

The handle is more of a prototype which I am going to be sealing then casting. from the castings I was thinking of hollowing it out for electronics.
My ides for right now are to keep the hilt and handle separate. then throw a nut into the handle so that I could then screw either just the hilt on or the hilt and blade. this would mean however that if I do Light it I would have to use Luminescent paint or find a way to get the lights inside the blade along with power and a switch. Although I had been toying with the idea on a pressure switch that activates by twisting the handle further onto the screw but for that I would need a Hollow bolt to run wires through and attach a switch a the end. To sum up right now I think Light it is making this far more complicated that I thought or it needs to be. I really think my first process should be to cut a blade and simply paint it. Then work out my Attachment Idea. I am thinking I will have to go thicker than 1/4" plexi to accommodate a bolt in the centre. Although since I am painting it I guess I could just stick with wood. Hmmmmm....

glow stick formula? the stuff in glow sticks could be poured in and stoppered at the base of the handle..... if the sword is made from two thin, clear, plastic sheets.... very little fuild could be needed..... it would need refils every 15 minutes,but a canteen on you could refill it. dont know how toxic it is. but it uses a chain reaction from two fuilds. could even add some other material ala lava lamps to make the blade "ebb". it would look awesome.

nothing is too complicated when it's the showpiece of the costume. luke skywalker with no lightsaber? ill pass.

Glowstick formula is a bad idea... it releases gases that build up pressure, and cause things to pop and leak lovely staining fluid all over the bookcase :(

Chris

Glowstick formula is a bad idea... it releases gases that build up pressure, and cause things to pop and leak lovely staining fluid all over the bookcase :(

Chris

there's more story there, but the sad face is preventing me from asking to hear it. (lightsabers would have needed alot, ouch)

a very thin blade with like 1/2 inch fused edge all around might hold it well.

thank you for sharing your experiment findings with the rest of us mad scientists. it was not in vain. IT WAS FOR SCIENCE!!!!!!!

there's more story there, but the sad face is preventing me from asking to hear it. (lightsabers would have needed alot, ouch)

a very thin blade with like 1/2 inch fused edge all around might hold it well.

thank you for sharing your experiment findings with the rest of us mad scientists. it was not in vain. IT WAS FOR SCIENCE!!!!!!!

Ya..... Thanks but I think well be staying away from Chemical Concoctions. But keep it coming.

Speaking of which I got a few shots of the handle and hilt. They were shot together but are not attached yet I am thinking of molding them separate for a future run. Still needs sanding sealing and Paint but in the mean time... Enjoy!

if you are going to make the sword solid, make the piece that is the blade and handle one and the same. better for strength that way, like a real sword would. then add to made the hilt, handle and pommel.

a glowy sword. prop o' the ages.

hate to say it, but there's a reason those lightsabers sell well. a reason they sell for hundreds (the good ones), for a prop that consists of like 10 dollars of materials. because it hard as $%^^!!!!! and getting a glowy sword that is not a lightsaber is all but impossible and have it look good.

i want the same glowy sword you do, but never found a easy way to make one, (which just makes me want it all the more). there are tons of sites founded just trying to make a prop lightsaber (or a real one, or both) that can be found, but most are old and "dead". noone i know has done a special effect sword.its all "cgi this please", or it's just a plain steel sword.

i have heard of some vampire movie with some hot girl in it that has a long sword fight with flaming swords, they were some rubber compound and burned long. but they smelled, and were dangerous indoors.

i think....im out of ideas. noone has made a good one or they would be waving it around like it was the freaking holy grail. good luck. ill keep watching this if i do think anything up.

Are you planning on swinging this thing around and beating on stuff with it?

If NO, the do just like they did with the LOTR Sting Sword from Master Replicas.

31NS5C0AYWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Basically the blade is a clear polycarbonate blade with EL paper. You could do the same with your project. Just have to mold the blade and find the color EL paper you want the blade to glow. Stuff that inside with a battery pack in the hilt to power the EL paper and your all set. If you want the blade to be brighter, run a string of LEDs inside the poly blade behind some diffusion material.

I know I make it sound easy and in theory, it can be done. I've built a ton of lightsabers. Just use the same concept with your design.

I know we have some mold experts here that can provide some advice on getting the blade molded just right.

Are you planning on swinging this thing around and beating on stuff with it?

If NO, the do just like they did with the LOTR Sting Sword from Master Replicas.

31NS5C0AYWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Basically the blade is a clear polycarbonate blade with EL paper. You could do the same with your project. Just have to mold the blade and find the color EL paper you want the blade to glow. Stuff that inside with a battery pack in the hilt to power the EL paper and your all set. If you want the blade to be brighter, run a string of LEDs inside the poly blade behind some diffusion material.

I know I make it sound easy and in theory, it can be done. I've built a ton of lightsabers. Just use the same concept with your design.

I know we have some mold experts here that can provide some advice on getting the blade molded just right.

Do you know what the power needs of EL Paper is? I have a fairly small Handle to fit things in but that right now sounds like the best bet. I would like to be able to swing it a bit but no Beating things as that would destroy my Illusion since the Sun Sword like a Light Saber Should Cut through Anything.

I may end up Doing a two Prop out of this like Anubis Suggests one with Blade and another that is just hilt.

The EL paper in that sword above is powered by two small CR123 batteries. 3 volts each. so 6 volts in series. The handle is very small, in fact the entire "Sting" sword is small, less than two feet total. The brightness is good, not very bright, but still bright enough in darker rooms.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back