Icons Velociraptor Egg Plaque Clear Coat

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by cmspgran, Jul 26, 2015.

1. cmspgran

cmspgran New Member

HI Guys

I'm wondering if anyone knows how the clearcoat finish is applied to the plaque for the icons velociraptor egg, my plaque was left unfinished and I'd like to fix it myself if possible if anyone has any advice?

Top picture is my plaque and the bottom picture is how it 'should' have been (albeit its for the claw not egg but you get the idea....)
    $_57 (1).JPG

14.JPG

Attached Files:

2. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Now there's a blast from the past...

Dunno what clear they used, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

3. HMS Mike

HMS Mike Well-Known Member

You have one of the early plaques before they were enameled.
    It was not a clear coat. It was "enameling" so what you need is to get some long cure clear epoxy and pour it over the top in the recess so that it just domes a little and let it cure. Now the enameled plaque were first filled with black enamel up to the lettering and then topped off with the clear.
    Hope this helps.

4. cmspgran

cmspgran New Member

Thanks a lot Mike, that more than helps.

Just tp clarify, I need to get hold of some black enamel and long cure clear epoxy. Firstly fill the plaque with the black enamel up to the edge of the lettering and let it cure, once cure then fill the remainder until completely covered with the epoxy and then allow that to cure too?

5. HMS Mike

HMS Mike Well-Known Member

The black is also long cure epoxy. Most places now a days say it is enamel but it is epoxy. as it is easier to do than real enamel.