ICONS UNEARTHED: STAR WARS featuring Marcia Lucas interview

Sadly those are the type of directors and writers that are often involved with the Disney Era of Star Wars and so many other franchises that have been co-opted by the public. I'm all for bringing in new fans, but it's evident that they have an incessant need to reinvent it to suit their tastes rather than honor the spirit in which these things were created.

To build an analogy using another dead franchise, it’s like all of those civilians who have watched the Marvel movies, naively think they know everything about the characters, and get into arguments with longtime comic book fans who actually know decades’ worth of history and lore.

They don’t have a leg to stand on, regurgitate tidbits they’ve seen and read on the Internet, and somehow think they know it all, and know it better than actual experts.
Half the time we have no idea who they are...
But then that's the same with Music these days, I no longer know or care who's Number one in the Hit Parade :D

Sadly those are the type of directors and writers that are often involved with the Disney Era of Star Wars and so many other franchises that have been co-opted by the public. I'm all for bringing in new fans, but it's evident that they have an incessant need to reinvent it to suit their tastes rather than honor the spirit in which these things were created.

Exactly. They spew out surface-level knowledge to seem knowledgeable, infiltrate a franchise, then co-opt it and alter it to suit them and only them. That’s the pattern we keep seeing.

At this point in time with Disney It wouldn't suprise me to see The Mouse himself turn up as some mystical old sage in a SW show..

Maybe brandishing a Mop and Bucket!

Somewhere in the Multiverse this has already happened...

20220723_112459.jpg

So far not in ours...

Last edited:
I've really enjoyed the first two episodes. I can't really recall ever seeing any interviews with Marcia Lucas. I've heard her name thrown around in lots of stuff, but not any interviews with her.

Finally got around to watching the first two episodes.

First and foremost, the shocking thing was the use of clips from the original theatrical cut of the film, quite clearly sourced from (apparently) Harmy’s DeSpecialized Edition, or possibly 4K77. How in the heck did that happen? What are the legalities of that?

Anyway, the documentary is solidly made, with a good assortment of interviewees and archival footage culled from other documentaries and sources. Not much new to be seen, here, but there are some good tidbits. And, as is par for the course with modern documentaries like this one, there’s a certain application of snark and corny jokes/puns in the narration, throughout.

The big coup, naturally, is the inclusion of Marcia Lucas. It’s quite fascinating to finally get her on-camera perspective on the whole thing. That being said, the underlying, somewhat unspoken narrative of the documentary is that Marcia and the other editors “saved” the film, and that George was just sort of along for the ride. As I’ve previous said, the reality is more likely somewhere in the middle.

There are also the usual bits of modern-day agenda and pandering thrown in, like calling Leia “the first heroine” and “the first female superhero”, and other such nonsense.

Overall, an enjoyable enough watch. Nice to see mostly interviews with actual participants, like Dykstra and Edlund and so on. But talking heads from garbage-tier, shill websites like Den of Geek’s Victoria Bennett need to take a hike.

All in all, the best documentaries ever made on the production of the original film are probably still THE MAKING OF STAR WARS (1977) and EMPIRE OF DREAMS (2004), with JW Rinzler’s book and THE SECRET HISTORY OF STAR WARS being the best printed works. Yet, every few years, we get another retrospective documentary, some good and some bad. This one pushes more toward “good”, but with qualifiers.

Last edited:
Watched the third episode. I was under the impression that each film would get two, but EMPIRE only got one, JEDI is next week, and then PHANTOM MENACE after that.

Anyway, this one was pretty straightforward. Not a lot of new info, although emphasis was placed upon the production going out of control, and the rift that caused between Lucas and Gary Kurtz, and Irvin Kershner. Also, Marcia attributes the concept of Father Vader to an off-handed comment made by Willard Hyuck, which I don’t believe I’ve ever heard before.

Again, a nice mix of stock behind-the-scenes footage and clips and whatnot, although I noticed that one of the newspaper clippings showing EMPIRE’s box office success actually comes from the 1997 Special Edition reissue, not the original release.

And I am now 100% sure that all clips from the films come from Harmy’s DeSpecialized Editions, because some of their unique tells are in evidence.

Finally, I didn’t realize until I read the credits that the narration is provided by none other than Michael Pennington, aka RETURN OF THE JEDI’s Moff Jerjerrod.

Thank you for this video. It's clear that JJ is just larping as GL ... 4 billion$ fanfic indeed

Yes, I very much agree with the thesis that the trouble began with Abrams. I saw it coming, of course, based on his treatment of STAR TREK. Everyone was happy to dogpile on Johnson—who is also an idiot, mind you—but Abrams laid that foundation of sand which caused the house to collapse. In no sane world where people are actually paying attention can it be said that Johnson ruined Abrams’ “vision”. There was no vision to begin with. Just rehashing, mystery boxes, and agenda.

I had a profound moment of revelation when these excellent analysis videos got into the notion that many fans gave THE FARCE AWAKENS a pass because of the “potential” for future films that it had set up. I personally fell into that same trap, to a degree, and used that exact word, at the time. I was very unsure about the whole thing, going in, but still gave it a mixed-to-positive review, and said that that there was a lot of “potential”. Of course, I also said that the next film in the trilogy would be the one to determine how things would actually go. And I had no idea just how right I was.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back