I think its time for another discussion.........the costumes Disney makes for their actors.

vader45

Sr Member
I need to vent here.....as part of my 10000 time of googling of pictures Anakin's costume for my build I got tired of seeing the Disney actor show up in my search.

It is this monstrosity.

15727160221_b4741725e0_b.jpg

I dont know why Disney can't do better when they gave far better resources then I do. They can mill their own fabric to match the screen used....if anovos has done it before I know Disney can. And the black tabards? I'll just leave this be now and shake my head in shame for Disney's lack of care for their property.

Old Republic Jedi didn't wear black or white. The tabards were dark brown that only appear black in certain light.
This is well-known within the Star Wars costuming community.

As to the fabric.. I think there may be practical reasons for choosing another fabric.

The Star Wars franchise is good hands folks. Disney will take care of i...... oh, dang :(

Wouldn't it have been cool if the fans could've bought the franchise?

As someone with an untrained eye, that looks pretty good to me. What exactly are the issues?

There is no crinkle texture to the tunic and it's not dark enough, no cloth tabards of same material, and leather tabards should be brown not black.

A lot of people don't seem to keep in mind that Disney's costumes have to be constructed in a fashion and with materials so that multiple different people of slightly varying builds can wear it pretty much every day of the week, so that it can be easily washed or dry cleaned, and be worn in multiple different weather and temperature conditions. They also have to be comfortable enough that the actor can wear it for long periods, move around in with limited restriction, and do their job of interacting with guests or preforming the "Stage Show." There are probably even regulations revolving around what types of materials can be used in construction related specifically to the comfort of the "performer," that limit the choice of materials that can be used.

The mentality of a Costumer is different than the Mentality of a Cast Member/Performer.

A lot of people don't seem to keep in mind that Disney's costumes have to be constructed in a fashion and with materials so that multiple different people of slightly varying builds can wear it pretty much every day of the week, so that it can be easily washed or dry cleaned, and be worn in multiple different weather and temperature conditions. They also have to be comfortable enough that the actor can wear it for long periods, move around in with limited restriction, and do their job of interacting with guests or preforming the "Stage Show." There are probably even regulations revolving around what types of materials can be used in construction related specifically to the comfort of the "performer," that limit the choice of materials that can be used.

The mentality of a Costumer is different than the Mentality of a Cast Member/Performer.

I get that for type of material but, imo, does not ecxuse colors like the lighter brown tunic and black tabards.

There is very light weight crinkle cotton, infact to me that tunic looks heavier then the crinkle tunics I have seen including mine.

Their Vader shows they don't care.

To replicate things perfectly to the movies they would have to spend so much money and time-- not worth it for street characters at theme parks that work in crazy heat most of the year, are constantly being pawed at by kids, and will have constant wear and tear.

Movie costumes are made to look good on camera, under specific lighting.

Could they do better, yes, but it's not practical for their usage. They are still visually identifiable as who they are supposed to be, which is all that matters to a little kid... who is their target audience, not a detail obsessed adult Star Wars fan.

Joe/Jane Public can't tell the difference between a good $2000 Darth Vader from quality parts, a $12000 Darth Vader with all parts pulled from screen-used pieces, and a $200 Rubies Deluxe. The look and say "Look, it's Darth Vader" at all 3.

Disney's own costumes for their own staff? It's not even on my radar. It's their business what they do with their own IP, it isn't hurting anyone, 99.9% of the population doesn't know the different and doesn't care as long as it 'looks like' the character.

It would be awesome and amazing if every single costume Disney ever used was actually made from the screen used fabric & costume pieces and actually sewn by the costume designers of that specific SW film but....... it's not worth my energy to give it any of my attention.

Also, they have to be cost effective because since they are being worn so often they would need to be replaced regularly. Why would they waste time and money having a specific fabric made to be screen accurate when they could just get something off the rack and the average guest isn't going to know any better.

They just have to look close enough and 99.9% of guests won't know the difference.

I've thought about that. I work at Disneyland and I see the characters all the time and I've wondered how accurate the various costumes are.

One factor is budget. Once a character is established as a regular in-Park character Disneyland needs to stock the costume in enough sizes for all the actors. I don't know how many costumes they stock, it would have to be quite a few if there are, say, a half-dozen actors regularly doing a character and subs that might come in for a shift now and then.

One costume I saw a lot of was Jack Sparrow. A bit before the first movie came out there was a photo shoot in New Orleans Square with an actor in Jack Sparrow costume. I'm no expert on that costume but it looked legit. I said to the Entertainment manager there "that costume looks real" and she replied "it is real. It's all costume pieces from the film shoot."

Which makes sense because they would have 15-20 of each item for shooting.

But when Jack Sparrow came into the various Disney Parks as a fulltime character they must have had dozens of costumes in various sizes for all the actors and new pieces had to have been made. Almost certainly a drop-off in accuracy would have occurred.

Here's one of the original Jack Sparrows in Disneyland (California) near the end of the run of having that character in the Park following the debut of the first film. It was this actor's last shift, actually.

Ud7fwev.jpg

Now onto the Disneyland Star Wars costumes, here are a couple I've seen

ecDq2KM.jpg

chMJOTJ.jpg

Attachments

• YIfRx99.jpg
    YIfRx99.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
“Their Vader shows they don't care.”

The Vaders are epically bad. The materials used would not have been more expensive to make accurate.

They used new molds, a symmetrical helmet, warped armor. My Vader shouldn’t be better than ‘the’ Vader. Ugh
View attachment 1278171

IMG_4883.jpg

IMG_4884.jpg

IMG_4886.jpg

Last edited:
It's an example of how little I know. That Disneyland Vader looks OK to me. Aren't they using a symmetrical mask in the new films?

I'm sure wearability and durability were factors, because the in-Park actors have to move about for a 30 minute onstage shift, while in a film shoot they have people adjusting the costume right before the cameras roll, and a shot might only last a few seconds.

Under wearability is the issue of heat buildup inside the costume. I'm guessing that Vader and Chewy have shorter shifts for that reason.

The only symmetrical Vader is Revenge of the Sith. Rogue One is a decent Vader, but the cod piece almost ruins it for me.

With about the same price, a 501st Vader is wearable for an hour minimum for most of us. I have trooped outside in full sun.

Its the helmet/armor and placement mostly that stands out to me. It looks like they just focus on casting tall guys at the expense of width. They use an armor more suited to regular people but put it on super tall thin guys.

I am under 6’2”, and wear padding even for hot troops.
IMG_4889.jpg

Is it being ridiculously picky about stuff the vast majority will never notice? Yup.[emoji23]

This reminds me a bit of discussions in the 501st stormtrooper detachment about what a good stormtrooper costume should look like--should it be screen accurate, or should it look like what the actual Empire would have wanted--i.e., armor that was in fact symmetrical etc.

Plus, the armor worn in, for instance, New Hope was sometimes incorrectly assembled/worn, parts were shifted, etc. As just one example, there's one trooper whose black rubber over his eyes is at a different height than everyone else's. So your armor could be inaccurate for most on-screen troopers, but could match one or two randos who were also on screen. Same with the blasters, which had various parts that were missing depending on the individual blaster. It's hard to argue that there is a real, truly perfect canon look for a New Hope stormtrooper given all the variety seen on-screen.

So when you get your basic armor parts, you have the choice between various people who make it idiosyncratic like it is on-screen, or people who smooth it out and make it look more like what the Empire would have wanted. Which is, of course, a judgment call on the part of that armor-molder.

Point being, with all that variety even among people who try to be screen accurate, it's hard to hold Disney much at fault for not being perfect. Although I agree that they could get the colors right.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back