Question I see new members making a bunch of meaninless posts, why? (answered)

Nexus6

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For the Mods (or anyone else who may know), are there rules regarding post content? (& yes, I realize there are plenty of rules in the CoC, but bear with me)

Specifically, I noticed a member today, who has apparently been registered since 2011. They have not posted ever, until today. A noticeable portion of those posts are thread necros, some from early last year. They have managed to rack up 20 posts, just today.

Now, I'm not making any accusations, but this behavior smacks of a person trying to gain access to an area not available to members with a post-count-deficit. Who knows, maybe it's someone who just doesn't have much to say, but it seems odd (& on a personal level, it's hella-annoying).

Anyway, I was just curious. *shrugs*

re: I see members making a bunch of meaninless posts, why?

This is something that happens occasionally, please report the post(s), and we will take care of it.

We do require new members attempt to make meaningful posts and not just a bunch of "that's cool" posts.

I have changed this thread so that it can be used as a "generic" question and answer thread for this topic.

That's an indication, and I stress indication, that it may, and I stress may, be someone who was recently banned and is using his dormant sockpuppet to up his post count for the OT etc.

Yeah, I was concerned about that very same thing (hence the reason I started the thread).

My original post had a lot more information in it, which The Staff trimmed out (which is their prerogative). *shrugs* :)

For the Mods (or anyone else who may know), are there rules regarding post content? (& yes, I realize there are plenty of rules in the CoC, but bear with me)

Specifically, I noticed a member today, who has apparently been registered since 2011. They have not posted ever, until today. A noticeable portion of those posts are thread necros, some from early last year. They have managed to rack up 20 posts, just today.

Now, I'm not making any accusations, but this behavior smacks of a person trying to gain access to an area not available to members with a post-count-deficit. Who knows, maybe it's someone who just doesn't have much to say, but it seems odd (& on a personal level, it's hella-annoying).

Anyway, I was just curious. *shrugs*

I myself am guilty of something similar to this. When I 1st joined RPF, I only made my intro post, then did not make any more till my Colonial Marine costume was finished. However most of my pre 20 posts were in reply to my USCM costume, and things like posting in the Sons of Anarchy thread. I have 2 or 3 posts that did make me guilty though. Oh well I did try to make "meaningful posts" for the most part. As far as my experience goes, I did not feel I had much to say till I had something completed where I could be considered a "cool enough geek" to socialize around here.

I myself am guilty of something similar to this. When I 1st joined RPF, I only made my intro post, then did not make any more till my Colonial Marine costume was finished. However most of my pre 20 posts were in reply to my USCM costume, and things like posting in the Sons of Anarchy thread. I have 2 or 3 posts that did make me guilty though. Oh well I did try to make "meaningful posts" for the most part. As far as my experience goes, I did not feel I had much to say till I had something completed where I could be considered a "cool enough geek" to socialize around here.
Bro, I have NO problem with that. I probably did the same thing when I first joined. But the person I was referencing, LITERALLY had 20 posts in a matter of minutes, that were: "cool", "awesome", "nice", "awesome", "awesome", "cool" - - - & half of those were in threads that hadn't been posted in for a year.

My original post actually LISTED each of the members posts, so it was VERY obviously suspicious. So yeah. :cool:thumbsup

Bro, I have NO problem with that. I probably did the same thing when I first joined. But the person I was referencing, LITERALLY had 20 posts in a matter of minutes, that were: "cool", "awesome", "nice", "awesome", "awesome", "cool" - - - & half of those were in threads that hadn't been posted in for a year.

My original post actually LISTED each of the members posts, so it was VERY obviously suspicious. So yeah. :cool:thumbsup

I understand what you were saying, and yes I agree whoever that person is, I agree is probably a sock puppet/smurf account(which ever you prefer to call it) for some one who may of been banned here previously. I was just stating sometimes when a person makes one or 2 posts like that they may be "innocent"

As a new member I browsed the RPF 1 for inspiration and 2 to see what others had created.
I left many "awesome" and "cool" posts in threads that were quite old as I thought it was a polite thing to do. To appreciate others hard work and effort even if it was done a while ago, as I have no idea of who the regular members are and how much time they are on the RPF or if they are even still here.
I know myself that I appreciate nice comments on things I have created even if it was a couple of years ago.
I know the forum has to keep an eye out for rogue members/sock puppets but there are some genuine people out there that like to leave comments too ;)

Maybe so, but if YOU had registered 6 months ago, & had never posted ONE thing until today, & in a matter of minutes, had racked up 20+ posts, & all of them were: "cool", "cool", "awesome", "cool" (half of them being thread necros), then I would have reported you to the Mods, too.

I didn't "accuse" the member, all I wanted the Mods to do was look at the posts, & after looking at them, the Mods PURGED all of their posts. So, it must have looked suspicious to them, as well.

As I suppose you know, there are forums in here that are only visible to established members, & people with sock-puppet accounts oftentimes seems to want nothing more than to be able to get to those restricted forums.

Maybe so, but if YOU had registered 6 months ago, & had never posted ONE thing until today, & in a matter of minutes, had racked up 20+ posts, & all of them were: "cool", "cool", "awesome", "cool" (half of them being thread necros), then I would have reported you to the Mods, too.

I didn't "accuse" the member, all I wanted the Mods to do was look at the posts, & after looking at them, the Mods PURGED all of their posts. So, it must have looked suspicious to them, as well.

As I suppose you know, there are forums in here that are only visible to established members, & people with sock-puppet accounts oftentimes seems to want nothing more than to be able to get to those restricted forums.

Usually the Junkyard it seems. A lot of new folks head there and never post again in the rest of the site.

Well I am very pleased it has all been sorted out and my intention certainly wasn't to raise your BP ;)
I do understand why you are so passionate about protecting the RPF after what happened to the other RPF forum :(

Last edited:
I don't have talent in prop making and couldn't even begin to give a person on this forum advice so all my posts are meaningless :(

A member has been doing this in the harry potter free paper prop thread... one popst in november and nothing until april, including replying to threads that have been dead since last year...

I don't have talent in prop making and couldn't even begin to give a person on this forum advice so all my posts are meaningless :(

You may yet surprise yourself.

With all you read and see on here, it's only a matter of time before you pluck up some courage and try to build something, albeit maybe small and simple. I bet you'll be happy with the result !

Give it a try ;) . I assure you that whatever you do, you'll get encouragement, not mockery :) :thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back