I need some help putting a Superman costume together

SammyT623

Hey folks, this is my first time on the site and my first time making my own costume. a little back story first,one of my best friends talked me into being superman for Halloween this year and I got a lot of positive reactions with just a store bought costume I had my friend help me size up. it went so well that he wants me to try out being in costume at a convention. however, the costume isn't very comfortable and I'd like something that looks like it didn't come off a shelf. I've got my friend willing to help me out with the fabric aspect of the suit but we don't have a clue how to make a good muscle suit to have under it. (I work out, but I'm not quite superman big) does anyone have any advice on how we can make that muscle layer and still have it be flexible and comfortable while looking good? I'd appreciate any advice you can send my way. thanks in advance!

Honestly give P90X or for mass the Body Beast 90 day program a try. I workout six days a week and used the Body Beast program for two rounds of a total of 180 days leading up to Halloween. It gave great results, and the airbrushing on my suit is custom painted to my build from that program. It was the first time my family and I went in costume for a convention. The photos of our suits are in my album under Family Of Steel. You could also check out Revolution Z's latest thread as he is building a muscle layer for a suit under the costume regardless of workout goals. Hope this is helpful.

***5-10-2014 update: New suit from WonderCon 2014 in my avatar there. The suit has the chain mail and is from Frontier Costuming. No extra airbrushing needed. Emblem is a new one from Revolution Z. Gauntlets are from Frightful Acts. Kept up with the training too. More pics are in this thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f77/man-steel-superman-superfamily-smallvilles-blur-wondercon-2014-a-213267/

Last edited:
Getting my man of steel suit tomorrow myself and I have just down loaded the P90X program myself as I don' want to get a muscle suit.............no pain no gain right.

Going to hit it hard after Christmas.

Getting my man of steel suit tomorrow myself and I have just down loaded the P90X program myself as I don' want to get a muscle suit.............no pain no gain right.

Going to hit it hard after Christmas.

Agreed. Plus with your own muscles it will allow you to pull off any superhero in the future. Easier that way and you'll be healthier for it. Let me know if you like P90X. I preferred Body Beast because I was always a skinny martial artist and martial arts instructor. P90X seemed to keep me skinny. Since Body Beast focused on mass and definition and followed a more bodybuilder approach, it became the program for me. But regardless of any program, it is the diet that makes the difference. That is actually harder than all the training.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back