I need help with Barber Chair Modification for a set piece

ProfCoppersmith

(I hope this is in the right forum, if its not: I'm sorry. Mods please correct me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Thanks)

I'm working on a set piece for work that is based on a 1950's Takara Belmont Barber Chair. The problem is that it's leaking hydraulic fluid. It doesn't need to be functional, so I want to just drain it fully so I can get it cleaned up (preferably without making an even bigger mess in the prosses) and start turning it into a miniature navigation bridge for the set it goes on.

Any help would be awesome here. I've been trying to find info on this chair and have yet to find anything useful. No manuals or maintenance instructions. It may just be too old and obscure.

Thanks in advance! ^_^

(I hope this is in the right forum, if its not: I'm sorry. Mods please correct me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Thanks)

I'm working on a set piece for work that is based on a 1950's Takara Belmont Barber Chair. The problem is that it's leaking hydraulic fluid. It doesn't need to be functional, so I want to just drain it fully so I can get it cleaned up (preferably without making an even bigger mess in the prosses) and start turning it into a miniature navigation bridge for the set it goes on.

Any help would be awesome here. I've been trying to find info on this chair and have yet to find anything useful. No manuals or maintenance instructions. It may just be too old and obscure.

Thanks in advance! ^_^
Difficult without seeing it. There should be a drain plug somewhere. Where is the leak?

Difficult without seeing it. There should be a drain plug somewhere. Where is the leak?
Leak seems to be towards the top of the pedestal/base of the seat. I can't see where it is directly. It leaks the most when I set it on it's side, from the assembly just beneath the seat platform. I did take a look under the pedestals skirt, as much as I could at least, and there's a large base cap, but no plug that I could see.

(I may end up just drilling a hole in the bottom end of the piston and letting it drain into a bucket. I have to have the whole set finished in about 3 weeks to stay on schedule. So I might have to do this quick and dirty. I'll update if I had to do so later tonight.)

Here's a picture of what it looked like before I stripped it down to the metal. (though it was in much worse condition from this image) again, it's a 1950's era Takara Belmont barbers chair.

Attachments

• vintage-takara-belmont-barber-chair_1_cb640a1fdecce7c9a313e1f509254d0c.jpg
    vintage-takara-belmont-barber-chair_1_cb640a1fdecce7c9a313e1f509254d0c.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 151
Ok, ended up drilling a hole in the botom of the piston. I couldn't find any valves or drain plugs, just one big cap on the bottom that wouldn't budge.
So it is now sitting atop three buckets, draining into a third for the weekend.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Bit of an update.
After I drilled the hole in the bottom... I realized that the round plate in the middle of the seat base was the cap to the piston. I feel rather silly now...
IMG_0024.JPEG

Otherwise, I have the whole thing stripped now, I get to start welding stuff to it now. ^_^
IMG_0025.JPEG

Sorry for the delay all. Things have been busy, since I’ve had to start taking hours at one of the stores we operate here too.
Anyway, here’s an updated picture, it’s in place and growing new additions still:
sub_chair_update_1_by_captsteamclank_deolowx.jpg

sub_progress_2_by_captsteamclank_deom2s9.jpg

I'll try to post some more recent pictures Tuesday or Wednesday. ^_^

Once again, I'm late with the promised update...
Things have been busy lately.

Anyway here's the update photos:
sub_update_3_by_captsteamclank_deoyjn5.jpg

sub_update_3_2_by_captsteamclank_deoyjp9.jpg

sub_update_3_3_by_captsteamclank_deoyjr6.jpg

sub_update_3_4_by_captsteamclank_deoyjsh.jpg

These are supposed to be catwalks. The wood ones are for general observation, the metal ones are maintenance. This whole set is covering some of the plumbing for the building (you can see some of it in the backgrounds of a few of the photos, and under the metal catwalks.) So parts of this are to disguise it as part of this submarine.
sub_update_3_5_by_captsteamclank_deoyjtv.jpg

sub_update_3_6_by_captsteamclank_deoyjvz.jpg

sub_update_3_7_by_captsteamclank_deoyjxi.jpg

This is all still very much a work in progress, but I only have about 2 months left to finish, before we open the attraction.

I may have mentioned this already, but this is all so oddly sized because it's supposed to be owned/used by a gnome. Though the sub was made for human sized people, he modified it to work for him. So the original pilots chair was converted into his bridge, thus the use of the barbers chair. ^_^

Another update on the set ^_^

Some detail weathering I'm rather happy with, It's the mounting for some gauges I made:
gauge_backing_petunia__by_captsteamclank_deqyis6.jpg

On to the set itself, so far:
near_finish_1_by_captsteamclank_deqyius.jpg

near_finished_6_by_captsteamclank_deqyjpk.jpg

Some wear on the metal ladder.
near_finished_5_by_captsteamclank_deqyjjp.jpg

near_finished_7_by_captsteamclank_deqyjsf.jpg

near_finished_8_by_captsteamclank_deqyjum.jpg

The faom craft guages in place. Yes the depth gauge reads just under 20000 leagues :p
near_finished_3_by_captsteamclank_deqyj1x.jpg

near_finished_4_by_captsteamclank_deqyj4b.jpg

near_finished_9_by_captsteamclank_deqyjxj.jpg

I'm working on the last bits now, doing some painting on the walls and some background details. I'll post some pictures once it's finished.

Small update, I just finished some pressure doors to fill some space in the background of this set. They're made of pink/purple insolation foam, some pipe insolation, fun-noodle, a few wooden shims, hockey tape (I love that stuff). Coated in a fire retardant resin, and the welds made with calk. All painted with metallic spray paint and aged with burnt burnt sienna mixed with a little black and silver for the rust.

sub_progress_hatches__by_captsteamclank_derf1jm.jpg

sub_progress_hatches__by_captsteamclank_derf1hx.jpg

sub_progress_hatches_by_captsteamclank_derf1gk.jpg

I know they aren't perfect, they were relatively quick and dirty. They will be placed in the unlit back corner of the set, so no one will see them closely, or well lit. Meant to imply that there is more to the submarine than what is visible, while filling empty space.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back