I need all the help I can get guys...

jrbirdman

I am doing an independent film and I have ALMOST everything I need with the exception of a few things. So what I need from RPFers is generic paper product placement items. Food labels, soda and beer labels, magazines, newspapers, and cigarettes etc. The catch is that it can't be anything real. I don't need a copyright violation or anything similar since it is independent with no funding from outside sources or permissions to use real products.

So, what is acceptable... well for example, for cigarettes, Morleys would work, and other "brands". Remember, I cannot and will not use real items, strictly theatrical props. I am hoping to have it all together and filming should wrap at the end of the year as it will be in various locales and not a lot of money to do it all sooner. Any help would be greatly appreciated and those who contribute will get credit for their prop.

Best regards, Jeremy

Last edited:
Here's the Morley box ( I don't know who produced this prop,but I hope they don't mind sharing,if you wish me to remove it I will )
:thumbsup

Hey, thanks for the nod, Invicta!

Careful man, there's some beverages here:
http://www.therpf.com/f40/generic-alcohol-berverage-labels-114825/

See also:
http://www.therpf.com/f40/generic-paper-props-not-related-specific-movie-73730/

A good quick way to change items is to just add a sticker over the original label.
For example, if its a flat package scan the item (or you can get a good photo), open it in your preferred paint/photoshop program, edit it, then print it back out at the same size, cut out & stick on.
You can also just print out the section with the name on it (once changed) and save on sticker paper (get a number of item done this way with one sheet).

Of course, the low-tech method would be a coupla Sharpies. ;)

Any idea as to what your gonna need? I can maybe work up a few pieces if I have an idea as to the kinds of thing you want.

For example - does a scene involve or the camera see the contents of a fridge?

Take a look here for examples of labels by the guys that make 'em for the movies & TV:
Clearance Free Labels

And examples of their 'products':
MODERN FOOD PRODUCTS

I can do a fair bit with Google-Fu and Paintshop Pro, so with a little more info, I'd be happy to help.

C.

I've got some left over newspapers from my 2nd run of Hill Valley Telegraphs from a couple of years ago. The inside/back pages are from the same prop that's been reused in lots of movies for the last 20+ years. I can send you some if you think you can use them.

Rorshach999, those are examples of what you can buy from Earl Hays Press for use in movies & TV.

I'm not advocating using those images for props, other than to suggest the variety of possible items.

C.

Thank you EVERYONE so far. DB, it would be very helpful to get some newspaper from you. Thanks. Thank you Dietrich. Some of those will help for sure. Here's what I currently have. Unfortunately, as much as I would like to, I could never use the stuff from ehp since I am not qualified to purchase them. Although, they do have a lot of what I am looking for.

Here's what I have so far, actors, prop money (however I have a template I need printed as a stack of cash so if anyone is interested in helping with that, PM me.), credentials (could use certain type as well but unsure how to do it as it's risky), weapons, locations are set, vehicles, and wardrobe.

The project is coming together but as I said, I still need some help with some things and so far, at this rate, we may be able to wrap early. Keep them coming as my producer and I are looking over all of these and will decide what to or what not to use. And again, I sincerely thank ALL of you for your help! It is very appreciated! Best regards, Jeremy

Last edited:
Coz, what I need is basically a grocery store full of stuff. Our main character has to shop once in a while LOL. They throw things in the cart while chatting with a loved one. I am also going to have a scene where a female character putting food away in the cabinets as well as the refridgerator. Feel free to show me what you can come up with and we can go from there. If the the team likes your creations, we may use them. Keep in mind that I am aiming for mostly realism however, most products will be seen from about a 6-10 foot distance. Although, there will be at least 2 close ups as they will be used in a key scene.

Here is the premise of the story: A man who works for a police department is working undercover as a major narcotic supplier. At home he has his wife and 2 kids. His family and friends have no clue what he does. Only his heads of department know. However, all goes wrong when someone finds out his true identity during a kingpin meeting. It all goes wrong for him from there with deadly consequences. Now I know it sounds like an idea that has been used many times before, however once you see the finished movie, I believe you will like the shocking twist. It will be posted, when completed, to youtube and vimeo.

Last edited:
Okay, newspapers are covered, thanks DB. I still need the other stuff on the list, so anything else someone wants to help with is up for grabs. Kind regards, Jeremy

Okay Coz, you are my label guy. We all agree your work is what we need. I need some like Chef Boyardee, Top Ramen, chili, if you can some Mountain Dew type can wraps, spaghetti sauce and noodles, a 5 lb ground beef wrap (so I can create a 5 lb chub), and some various cereal boxes. With those, I was hoping for 2 "Adult" cereal boxes and 2 "Kid" cereal boxes. IE; Bran flakes and Grape Nuts and Lucky Charms and Cinnamon Toast Crunch respectively. Those are just examples.

If we come up with anything else I will let you know. Also, I will need you to PM me your name so your name can be added to the credits. Thank you for your great work. Best regards, Jeremy

Last edited:
They're always after me Lucky Charms...

Cinnamon Toastie Crunch added.

Bran Flakes added (no toilet paper offer ;) ).

Wheat-Os are good for you, too.

Grape-Nuts are up!

I deliberately left off the Net Wt / amount, so its easier for various box sizes.

C.

Last edited:
Perfect! Thank you Coz. We still need someone for the production of prop money stacks (I have the template for them), magazines, and we need some id's made. These id's must be generic. They will be seem from a distance for 2 scenes involving an "ID check". Remember, I am doing an independent production, not looking for anything oscar-worthy. LOL. So far, we have newspapers,and labels covered. Thanks to everyone up to this point. Whomever can do the others has a chance to be put on the credits. I am proud to have those who have contributed on this team. This movie is now officially dedicated to them. Best regards, Jeremy

P.S. Can someone make a carton for the Morley's? I will put 10 packs in it, with one being a hero prop full of smokes. Thanks.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back