I just found this silver topped dosimeter. Can anyone tell me if they were used in ANH?

Mulbin

I recently picked this up from a box of junk in a house clearance.Can anyone tell if this silver topped variant was used?

It’s not made by Stephens, it’s a Kershaw. This type of dosimeter was actually made by several manufacturers to ministry standards... is there any reason people assume the ones in the film are exclusively Stephens?

a4y85Y2.jpg

OjMlmyD.jpg

aGDQH7Y.jpg

haOHNgV.jpg

I'm going to assume the lack of answers probably means it's junk! I might see if I can paint it up with a blue top.

Or it means people were at Celebration. ;) In my case, I've been sick, so my presence on here was down a bit. I was going to dig back through what screen caps I can find. lonepigeon probably knows the answer to this better than me, though.

I know there were silver topped meters of some sort used for some of the ANH officers, just not sure if they were like this.

There were non blue cap dosimeters used in SW by General Tagge and Chief Bast but are different from the one above

Imperial-Code-Cylinder-General-Tagge.jpg

Imperial-Code-Cylinder-Tarkin-Chief-Bast.jpg

Imperial-Code-Cylinders-both-versions-03.jpg

There were non blue cap dosimeters used in SW by General Tagge and Chief Bast but are different from the one above

View attachment 1010679

View attachment 1010680

View attachment 1010681

Yep, definitely not my one in those shots!.... but... are those definitely the screen used ones with the red stripe? The ones in the movie captures just look like regular stephens dosimeters with the blue top and knurled ring taken off. They unscrew. Doesn't look lie the ones in the movie have that ridge around the top?

Yep, definitely not my one in those shots!.... but... are those definitely the screen used ones with the red stripe? The ones in the movie captures just look like regular stephens dosimeters with the blue top and knurled ring taken off. They unscrew. Doesn't look lie the ones in the movie have that ridge around the top?

I used to own 4 different blue cap Stephen dosimeters but I was never able to remove the blue top lens, just unscrewed the knurled ring and nothing more.

I used to own 4 different blue cap Stephen dosimeters but I was never able to remove the blue top lens, just unscrewed the knurled ring and nothing more.

They are held in place by the sleeve underneath the knurled ring. It has lugs for a special tool to unscrew it. It's how they are constructed in the first place. I'll see if I can get a ring loose on my current ones to show you.

By the way, I'm just thinking out loud really. Might be the other type from another manufacturer...just doesn't look much like the same one in the photo which has a ridge. Much more like just an empty hole on Bast's imho. In fact... if you turn a No.2 Dosimeter upside down and put the clip back on it looks more like it.

To give some background, the blue type, and my silver topped one are both No.2 British Ministry of Defence dosimeters, made by a few different contractors including (but not limited to) Stephens. The one with a red stripe is a No.3 Dosimeter, also made by various contractors... there may be No.2s made without the ridge by other manufacturers maybe?

They both still turn up a lot in Germany from British army stores over there...closer to the USSR!

It would be helpful to photos from lucasfilm's archive!

Changed my mind again :) call me crazy...

But doesn't the one in Bast's pocket look more like this type? (Chemical detection) Not the ridged/red stripe type? (No.3 Dosimeter).

PbhH1Qu.png

Not trying to crap on anyone's props... just looks like a more likely candidate as I look into this.

Wait.. I think I have a couple of those. Or similar ones, they have a black thin stripe above the clip

As for the screencap, I see it too, the V2 Dosimeter does not have an insert and the business end seems to mostly be an empty cylinder. You're right, there are a few out there that look like that

As for yours, I would find out how to make a light blue tint and turn them into the V1 Dosimeter. Maybe the blue stuff you mark metal with in machine shops? It's what they used for R2D2's blue tint in ANH

or a type of metallic blue wash, something from Michaels crafts meant for ... well crafts haha

There are 6-7 versions of pen type dosimeters I've seen already. From what we know considering other props used in SW, they might have gotten a box full of all kinds of these and used them as they came out of that box, without thinking too much about their origin or looks. Not sure if Chief Bast's dosimeter is the one looking like a cigar with the text on it.

As for getting blue cap versions, look in the Junkyard, IIRC Saifai sells those.

As for getting blue cap versions, look in the Junkyard, IIRC Saifai sells those.

Yep, they look great, I have a couple. Only issue is they have repro clips made of brass. Originals weren’t brass, they were spring steel plated with a bronze coloured finish. Im hoping to get some with more authentic clips as they are much more durable and look a little different in colour.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back