I have a request

El Gato

I'm new here and don't where to post this but i have a request if anyone can help me. I was wondering about the cost to have this Vault Door Dial.jpg 3d printed? it's for project I'm going to work on sometime soon. It's going to be a dial for a toy combination safe that I'm going to repaint. I'm would appreciate any info and sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

There are a number of unknowns here, that would make it difficult to provide an estimate of cost. Perhaps we can try to at least nail down some of these.

1. What are the dimensions of the item?
2. What material do you want it printed in?
3. How much finishing do you require, i.e. filling, sanding, priming etc?

Assuming the item is less than 170mm diameter most printers of average build size can handle it. The main factors are material and time in 3D printing.

Finally there are shipping costs and import duty if you go outside your country.

If you submit the file to shapeways.com or some other business that provides 3D printing services, they will tell you what they will charge you to make it. That's how you find out the cost.

If you submit the file to shapeways.com or some other business that provides 3D printing services, they will tell you what they will charge you to make it. That's how you find out the cost.

And you should have the option to not proceed from there is you feel the price is too high.

On shapeways, you upload the file. If it passes their tests, you're presented with a list of material options you can print it in (and thats a LONG list) and what the price would be in each material. At that point you can choose to buy a print in any of the materials or not. If you don't buy anything you can leave the model there for ages and do nothing with it, let others use it, or whatever.

I'd tried uploading the file but it didnt take it. how do i convert the file to whatever it can take? i used 3d max to make the model

Shapeways prefers STL or OBJ. These should be options for 3DS Max.

There may be a STL check modifier to test your geometry before you export your object to STL.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you are editing your Shapeways model, you click on the SCALE button. Enter 2.5 as the X number. And then switch the measurement from MM to IN (inches).

When you are editing your Shapeways model, you click on the SCALE button. Enter 2.5 as the X number. And then switch the measurement from MM to IN (inches).

i think i have but im not sure if its right. it says 2.562 x / 2.523 y / 0.824 z in inches so is it right?

Close enough for me. Since your object is not perfectly round, that should be right. The .824 says your object is just short of an inch thick.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back