I got some new, original C3PO, R2D2 pics...

Thanks TK 1536. I just saw these from the post through the R2 Builder's group. Be ready for a nice bandwidth hit in the AM. :)

Nice pics and an awesome find.

/B

Those R2 pics are awesome. Really appreciated.

It makes me realize how awesome the one I'm building is and I need to get it finished.

<div class='quotetop'>(Treadwell @ Jun 28 2006, 01:43 PM) [snapback]1269912[/snapback]</div>
Cool, thanks for sharing these.

That's an ESB and/or ROTJ Kenny Baker R2. Note the tops of white boots down by the feet.

Interesting how the gold chrome has faded differently on most of the Threepio suit compared to the neck piece.
[/b]

I think he's from ANH although the side foot plates look ESB styled. (Ya got the grooves in the horseshoe section of the legs, hinges on the opening panels, ANH looking vent on the front with thin slats and other bits 'n bobs.) :) Not sure if they made any more Kenny units for ESB?

Beautiful shots, are you going to be able to access to these props regularly with your line of work, or was this a once in a lifetime opportunity??

Jeremy

wonderful......you kissed R2's dome? Man...so close to a legend....impressive. Thanks for those awesome pics. Can you get more? Maybe some real close ups?
You guys think the C3PO looks authentic? I mean...screen used? Does this look like a wasted chrome finish? Hmmmmm..... I can't say for sure. Nevertheless.....it looks beautiful. Wish I had one for my living room.

hehe the guys at the R2Builders group are going crazy :lol
but they want MOOORE , info or pics if you got any.

it's one of the R2's from the sandcrawler scene, and not seen very often.

any bit of info is welcome, even the blurry pics :)

Xeno

<div class='quotetop'>(gonk27 @ Jun 29 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]1270619[/snapback]</div>
I think he's from ANH [/b]

You could be right...the lack of the black tubing for Kenny's legs threw me. I guess they just replaced it with the white boots.

I did not personally take these pictures (wish I had), if I did there would've been waaaay more pics and much more up close shots. Not mention pics with me wearing the C3PO head, etc. One of my co-workers who services the Smithsonian's computers, informed me of these and was able to get the pictures from an employee who works there. That's really all I know right know. I'll try to get more info asap, since we're out there every week. I'll see if I can get my guy to beg and pled to see them personaly and take pictures.

Howdy...

Thanks for the pics...These are great...

This is definitely an ESB era body...The front panel spacing on the ANH bodies was a bit different...Especially to the left of the front octagon port.

The dome might be ANH vintage, but the body is definitely one of several Kenny Baker units that Tony Dyson built for ESB.

It's also interesting to note that the ANH and ESB droids used a different color blue...That's one of the reason's why I think the dome may be from ANH...The color on the radar eye looks a bit darker.

Just my 2cents :)

Jason

Mike, if you get to go, see if you can bring a friend. I'll be good I promise. ;)

I really don't think the R2 is from ANH though. There's no Blue (or black) ring around his front holo projector. I believe all the ANH versions had this (I haven't seen one that didnt'), but all the other movies didn't have the colored surround on the front or top HPs.

I'll defintely use these though for references for the paint scheme for my R2 (almost got the dome done). Good to see where the weathering lays.

Any word on when/where these will be displayed?

Oh, and don't forget that 'bringing a friend' part. :angel

You've been missed at the DCSWCC meetings, bud.

Mike

Hey Mike...

That's true about the front HP cowling color...However, the front HP on this dome looks way too clean...

My thought is that the front HP was simply replaced somewhere along the way.

Besides, they reused the ANH domes for the other films and probably standardized them at that point.

In fact, the only R2 that I know of that still has the different color HP cowling was the ANH model that was on display in the Art of Star Wars exhibit over in London a few years back.

Jason

<div class='quotetop'>(Pwrsrce @ Jun 29 2006, 07:24 PM) [snapback]1270893[/snapback]</div>
Howdy...

Thanks for the pics...These are great...

This is definitely an ESB era body...The front panel spacing on the ANH bodies was a bit different...Especially to the left of the front octagon port.

The dome might be ANH vintage, but the body is definitely one of several Kenny Baker units that Tony Dyson built for ESB.

It's also interesting to note that the ANH and ESB droids used a different color blue...That's one of the reason's why I think the dome may be from ANH...The color on the radar eye looks a bit darker.

Just my 2cents :)

Jason
[/b]

Hiya Jason long time no speak. (you may not remember me, it's been a while :))

Weeelllllll, I know what you mean about the panel spacing, but I still believe this is an ANH - if it's metal it must be, as the handful of props made for ESB were cast versions. I met one of Dyson's original team who still maintains a workshop at the Crawley Mill estate recently and he told me some interesting stories. The ESB props *I don't think* have opening doors, those that did in Empire would have been props from the first film. This chappie obviously does as you can see the hinges.

As for the blue colour this I'm pretty sure has been resprayed completely since it's use in ANH and all the subesquent flicks with the HOK paint Don Bies' team came up with. I think the hue on the dome is to do with angle, same thing happens on my R2.. (and yep the holo's been replaced).

The foot plates I'd say were definantly ESB though.

Jeremy :)

(if I sound like a dog with a bone about this I really don't mean to.. :lol :thumbsup )

Hey Jeremy...Of course I remember you...It's good to hear from you again.

Did someone say that this body was metal? I may have missed that...

The two Kenny Baker units that Dyson made did in fact have opening doors like this one...Another ESB version like this recently appeared at the FIDM exhibit in California...For all I know this might be the same one...(I'll have to check)

The other sign that leads me to believe it's an ESB body is the way that the bottom skirt is cut for the foot tubes...The ANH versions were not cut like the ESB version...I can state that pretty emphatically.

It was not uncommon for them to flip flop ANH heads on the ESB bodies as the original fiberglass ESB heads took a bit of a beating...

Also this one does not appear to have been repainted in the HOK hypo blue...

The statements above are straight from the horses mouth...I've actually been talking with Tony for another project that I've been working on :D

Jason

PS - Pop me an email sometime, as I would love to hear the stories from your friend that worked for Tony...

Ah well can't argue with that. I stand corrected.

Sorry Jason, didn't mean to suggest anyone had said it was metal, just that IF it happened to be metal it must be from ANH.

The top edge of the blue panel center front, above the upper vent looks like it's coming away from the body (although the vents themselves are separate I thought this blue bit was part of the cast on the expoxy bodies) it was things like that made me think ANH, but hey you learn something new every day. :)

PM me ya email address when you get a chance mate.

Jeremy.

I'm pretty sure this is not the same one at the FIDM exhibit, but if you think I'm wrong let me know and I will drag out some pics.

Just from observation - my two cents - I would guess it's ESB body and a chance it could be an ANH dome - but I will be the 1st to admit, I may be wrong.

Thanks

GREAT PICS AS ALWAYS, MIKE. :thumbsup
thanks for sharing these with us...

i´ll definatly will go for my personal R2-unit after my c-3po project.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back