I bought a piece of the Suncoast Movie Store sign

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by James Kenobi 1138, May 26, 2006.

1. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The Suncoast movie store at my mall went out of business a few months ago. There were selling everything, even the fixtures. On the outside, the store sign has a 'movie reel' with different movies in each 'frame' of film. I was interested in the Star Wars one, and the manager and I made a deal for me to purchase it. The only condition was that I had to remove it myself on the last business day and I could not sue them if I injured myself taking it down (I had to sign a waiver).

Since it was on the outside of the Suncoast Movie store, I assume it is a licenced piece.

I figured it was just a glorified poster on a thin plastic sheet or something, as the sign was backlit, but I was surprised. The Star Wars panel was part of a 3 panel section on white 1/4 inch plexiglass that also came with Indiana Jones and Gone with the Wind. So, I had to take all 3 even though I only wanted/bought the SW one.

I was going to cut the Vader section off with the old table saw and frame it with a backlight to display. I promised the Rhett and Scarlett to my wife's sister Tara (named for the plantation from the movie, collects Gone with the Wind stuff), but I don't know what to do with Indy.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/suncoast_a001.jpg[/image]

I asked actress and model Lindsay Lohan to pose with it to give you a sense of the size. She is 12 inches tall.
    [image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/suncoast_a002.jpg[/image]

The images are basically big stickers on the 1/4 inch plexiglass.

Suggestions?

2. Atarian

Atarian Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

sell it to me? :)
    (please?)

3. SG Merc

SG Merc Well-Known Member

With some rigging you could probably make a nice backlit sign perhaps?

I myself purchased one of the 3' foamcore pieces from a local Suncoast--still haven't found a wall to mount it on.

4. Locke5

Locke5 New Member

I think I actually saw you taking the sign down that day (I live in Plano) and was wondering if they were selling the rest.

Wish I had spoken up before they kicked the bucket.