i am trying to make a Metal gear solid Cyborg

Stewo97000

Hey Guys i am gonna make a Cyborg Costume and i was wondering if i could use a wet suit and would the latex stick to it and muscles and stuff etc...

Hi,

That is what I used pretty much on my first attempt: a lycra (spandex) suit and I sculpted muscle and armor sections out of upholstery foam and adhered it to the suit. Then, I applied about 4 coats of latex on top. It didn't work out too well for a few reasons.

Here's the problem:

The latex will basically be absorbed into the wet suit you will be using most likely, causing whatever you have to fill the suit for form to stick to it. This makes it extremely difficult to remove the suit from your base, and it could lead to massive paint flaking. However, the main reason using a lycra suit didn't work out for me is that it shrank WAY too much, even though I used a duct tape dummy.

Could using a wet suit work out? Possibly, but you would need to stuff it with a TON of either newspapers or packing material to avoid significant shrinkage. When you start working off a spandex or wet suit, it's all an uphill battle for the most part, because you have to sculpt all of the muscles/armor as well as contend with the shrinkage/flaking issues I mentioned.

Honestly, my suggestion would be to take a superhero muscle suit and add your foam bits and paint your latex on top of that. This is for two reasons: the suit will not be as porous as the spandex or wet suit in your case and will keep most of the latex on the surface. Secondly, with a muscle suit, you will already have muscle groups to work with instead of having to sculpt everything yourself. Also, you can get away with using MUCH less latex- I only had to do 3 layers of latex for each side of the superhero muscle suit and it created an excellent surface.

Finally, superhero muscle suits in most cases are cheaper than having to buy a wet suit of some sort I would imagine.

Just my two cents, you can go to the Non-Predator Costume section and see what I'm doing with my mark II suit I'm currently working on.

Hi,

That is what I used pretty much on my first attempt: a lycra (spandex) suit and I sculpted muscle and armor sections out of upholstery foam and adhered it to the suit. Then, I applied about 4 coats of latex on top. It didn't work out too well for a few reasons.

Here's the problem:

The latex will basically be absorbed into the wet suit you will be using most likely, causing whatever you have to fill the suit for form to stick to it. This makes it extremely difficult to remove the suit from your base, and it could lead to massive paint flaking. However, the main reason using a lycra suit didn't work out for me is that it shrank WAY too much, even though I used a duct tape dummy.

Could using a wet suit work out? Possibly, but you would need to stuff it with a TON of either newspapers or packing material to avoid significant shrinkage. When you start working off a spandex or wet suit, it's all an uphill battle for the most part, because you have to sculpt all of the muscles/armor as well as contend with the shrinkage/flaking issues I mentioned.

Honestly, my suggestion would be to take a superhero muscle suit and add your foam bits and paint your latex on top of that. This is for two reasons: the suit will not be as porous as the spandex or wet suit in your case and will keep most of the latex on the surface. Secondly, with a muscle suit, you will already have muscle groups to work with instead of having to sculpt everything yourself. Also, you can get away with using MUCH less latex- I only had to do 3 layers of latex for each side of the superhero muscle suit and it created an excellent surface.

Finally, superhero muscle suits in most cases are cheaper than having to buy a wet suit of some sort I would imagine.

Just my two cents, you can go to the Non-Predator Costume section and see what I'm doing with my mark II suit I'm currently working on.

thx a lot and i have a question is a super hero costume like fabric and does fabric work well b/c i wanted a like very tight suit

Yeah, it does, basically, the super hero costume will shrink to whatever form you give it. So if you don't put a lot of packing inside the suit, it will shrink A LOT. If you fill it completely, it will not shrink as much. My advice is to make it bigger than you want so that it will shrink to just the right shape.

wait hows your costume going? is it like hard to move what is better and cant u just use prosaide to not let is peel

this list is what i am going to use

WetSuit
Latex paint
dummy
Upholstery foam
paint
Acrylic Paints
Perma Paint
Prosaide

wait hows your costume going? is it like hard to move what is better and cant u just use prosaide to not let is peel

this list is what i am going to use

WetSuit
Latex paint
dummy
Upholstery foam
paint
Acrylic Paints
Perma Paint
Prosaide

My costume is coming along pretty well, check out the last page in that thread. It's not too difficult to move actually in a latexed super hero costume. Movement might be stiffened a bit, but it's still pretty flexible.

Prosaide MIGHT work, but like I said, getting that latexed suit off your dummy is going to be a real bitch. It took me a good 45 min to an hour to peel the suit off the dummy, and in the process, I lost a lot of my paint.

It's up to you, but the way you are going is how I started, and the mark I suit didn't work out for me personally.

Edit: Also, super hero costumes are proven to work if you look around and take a look at some of the Predator examples here.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back