I am mother robot head and bust to 3d print 1:1 scale (anyone want to help with the 3d modeling)

animatormatthew

Hello Here are the reference photos I have gathered. The 3d model is only a reference photo as the studio wants to keep the model. I can model in autodesk Maya. But I am not pro level I would say medium. I will print this at 1:1 scale. With lights we can start with the head. Maybe even do the whole robot. Does Anyone want to input some modeling skills for this build? Once we can get the 3d model I can make it 3d printable

I Am Mother (2019) On-Set Production Images & Screenshots | 8FLiX for more screen shots

Last edited:
Clearly this was inspired by the Boston dynamics Atlas robot platform. This will be a monumental project. Obviously this is a suit. Are you planning to make this wearable? I model in Fusion 360. Everything is immediately printable.

Last edited:
In this case I was not going to make it wearable. Just need the head and bust modeled. And then added lights as a monument piece to the film also servos to make the mouth pieces move. Like a 1:1 head bust model. It would be great for all people who loved the film to have

Oh wow, I’ve been wanting to have Stl files for this from the min I seen the movie. Amazing robot, an love to add it to the list of movie props I have. like you I’d like a light up display. My modelling skills on a pc are let’s face it crap to getting by lol put wood or hips or something like that in front of me and I can make it :) but willing to learn as I go to make this project real if you have me that is.

Last edited:
hear is some grabs I have.
just wondering on the dimension of this head, she looks pretty big. has anyone any ideas or thought on this.

Attachments

• ref0.jpg
    ref0.jpg
    767.9 KB · Views: 396
  • ref1.jpg
    ref1.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 409
  • ref2.jpg
    ref2.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 373
  • ref3.jpg
    ref3.jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 380
  • ref4.jpg
    ref4.jpg
    675.8 KB · Views: 415
  • ref5.jpg
    ref5.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 373
  • ref6.jpg
    ref6.jpg
    797.3 KB · Views: 401
  • ref7.jpg
    ref7.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 357
  • ref8.jpg
    ref8.jpg
    687.2 KB · Views: 409
  • ref9.jpg
    ref9.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 404
  • ref10.jpg
    ref10.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 374
  • ref11.jpg
    ref11.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 413
  • ref12.jpg
    ref12.jpg
    439.6 KB · Views: 482
yet more grabs... don't no if there any use but will post anyways

Attachments

• ref-1.jpg
    ref-1.jpg
    934.7 KB · Views: 377
  • ref-2.jpg
    ref-2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 377
  • ref-3.jpg
    ref-3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 418
  • ref-4.jpg
    ref-4.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 373
  • ref-5.jpg
    ref-5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 382
  • ref-6.jpg
    ref-6.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 420
  • ref-7.jpg
    ref-7.jpg
    988.6 KB · Views: 400
  • ref-8.jpg
    ref-8.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 368
  • ref-9.jpg
    ref-9.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
don't know if anyone has noticed this on the top of mothers head :) …. an maybe wrong but from what I can see the left side of the head is a mirror of the right side.

Attachments

• ref-10.jpg
    ref-10.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 380
i dont have enough experience in modeling to help but when it is finished i'd love to print it. Will you be posting the model anywhere?

wondering if im close with a size of 170mm to 175mm on that sliver frame on the side of mothers head.
that to me looks like a 300mm ruler, any ideas....

Attachments

• mothers-size.jpg
    mothers-size.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 383
well this sizing thing is not easy lol I think im way off with this, 387mm from front to back seems way too small....
have a look at the pic for a rough idea and I do mean rough! anyone got any input!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well forget that sizing, just done a rough size on the front of mothers head and unless your that man out of M.I.B with the small head ya not getting this on!
so to recap... 170mm to 175mm on that sliver frame on the side of mothers head is not right.. aaahhhrrrra

Attachments

• size.jpg
    size.jpg
    791.3 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
im really scraping the barrel now lol … tho this seems a more realistic size, around the 450mm to 500mm from front to back of mothers head.
dam prob not going to know the size unless someone with access to the real mother takes a measuring of it..

can anyone lend a hand as to a guess... got to be better than my guess lol saying that whats up with just going with a set number an working from that.

Attachments

• maybe-size.jpg
    maybe-size.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 400
How detailed do you want it?

hia there, I hope animatormatthew don't think im trying to take over his post! but for me be brill to pickup as much detail as we can from the outside if you know what i mean. ive tryed to make a start with the limited pc skills i have, and useing a guess of 480mm size from front to back of mothers head.

Attachments

• Carlz new size.jpg
    Carlz new size.jpg
    769.3 KB · Views: 428
  • Carlz Mother-parts.jpg
    Carlz Mother-parts.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 389
I would like to help with this! I can try to do some modeling in Blender or Fusion 360. I have very little experience with this but it's something I've been wanting to do for a while.

hay technojoe the way I see it the more people involved in this the better it will come out :) just pick a part to make and go for it pal.
the good thing with making it in parts is you can allways edit and upgrade them over time and makes things a lot easier to 3d print.
if you need me to size anything for you let me know what parts.

mothers left and right ear box, if we don't come up with a better ear box this will need a re-edit at some point to take the battery meter that's on the left side of the head.

Attachments

• Carlz Left-Right Ear-Box.jpg
    Carlz Left-Right Ear-Box.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 330
Mothers Eye, added some holes for LED lights or EL wire... still need to make a holder for the inner lens to hold LEDs.

Attachments

• Mothers eye.jpg
    Mothers eye.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 357
MMMmmm…. well what can I say, this is a steep learning curve lol moved to fusion 360 and ive re-made the eye cos the other was crap lol this is version 2 of probably lots more to come.
for some reason im feeling like this projects is going to be like painting a bridge that take 2 years to paint and by the time ya done, it needs painting again lol
oh well ive never been a quitter... onwards and upwards

Attachments

• Carlz iam Mother-Eye.jpg
    Carlz iam Mother-Eye.jpg
    649.9 KB · Views: 335
Quick update on the progress of mother, ive got round to doing some more bits for it :) not coming out to bad at the mo.

Attachments

• Carlz Mother Parts.jpg
    Carlz Mother Parts.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 364
well just checking in after a day of sat on fusion trying to work out how to use it lol and im a bit more down the long road to getting mother done.
I must say for someone starting out, fusion 360 is a must.... im amazed at what you can do with the program if you know what your doing but saying that when you get you head round it all its not that bad! god bless the utube video lol
anyway only 3 day with fusion and this is where im upto with I am mother build.

Attachments

• Carlz I Am Mother Update.jpg
    Carlz I Am Mother Update.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 483

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back