I am making Donatellos Bo Staff

loud443

I have finally scrapped together time money and resources to start my Ninja Turtles weapons collection

So I figured I'd start with the easiest one to get ahold of in the condition I need it in as to find sharp weapons from media in the UK is a pain

I have the bo stick on order
I have the wood stain I'll need
I have know we're to by the tennis racket grip tape

What I need advice and or help with is the decision which version to do, the one from the 2003 cartoon I watched as a kid, the version from comics, the BAY VERSE? I can't make my mind up so I need so help

Any guidance and or opinions would be a great help

As a lifelong fan of Donatello, my professional advice is to make it at least your full body height. Measure out 7 equal sections, and wrap only the 3 middle sections. The wrapping should criss-cross, making X shapes, kind of like katana handle wraps, but without the twists.

Disregard everything from the Bayverse. Those are grotesque, like colonoscopies.

Last edited:
As a lifelong fan of Donatello, my professional advice is to make it at least your full body height. Measure out 7 equal sections, and wrap only the 3 middle sections. The wrapping should criss-cross, making X shapes, kind of like katana handle wraps, but without the twists.

Disregard everything from the Bayverse. Those are grotesque, like colonoscopies.
I will come to you at the time for a tutorial session on how to do the wrapping correctly but as far as length of the staff is concerned it's 180cm long and I'm 167 ish
So what do you recommend for that

Post some reference pictures of your options. We love pictures here!
Picture dump

I'm torn between the white but weathered tape and the purple tape

Idk if their is a "correct" colour due to the multiple medias but I'd like to be as authentic as possible so those with more knowledge than me please feel free to educate me further
298ae47b2c0b93e696e57e4c87521b52.jpg
d8l1wqu-ccc75dcb-e7e6-4073-adf2-8bbaf71fa908.jpg
quarter-donatello-3.jpg
tmnt-donatello.jpg

I think you’re right that there isn’t one a right or a wrong version. Just more to choose from! I like the weathered tape but the purple is pretty cool. If you went with the purple, there would be no question as to what prop this is

I will come to you at the time for a tutorial session on how to do the wrapping correctly but as far as length of the staff is concerned it's 180cm long and I'm 167 ish
So what do you recommend for that
13cm is a negligible difference, and added length to a bo is usually beneficial, since you don't want the Foot getting too close.

The color of the wrappings depends on the color of the wood. Dark wood should have dark wrappings; light wood should have light colored wrappings.

Do not go with purple. Vibrant colors will make the weapon stand out, and easier to deflect in battle.

Oh dear, I'm old. Read your post and instantly thought "Cool! I wonder if he'll do the 80's cartoon or the 90's movies?" Then read the rest :lol:

Based on your pics I really like the first one, it has the most character in my eyes. Maybe do all their bandanas with the weapons too for display :)

13cm is a negligible difference, and added length to a bo is usually beneficial, since you don't want the Foot getting too close.

The color of the wrappings depends on the color of the wood. Dark wood should have dark wrappings; light wood should have light colored wrappings.

Do not go with purple. Vibrant colors will make the weapon stand out, and easier to deflect in battle.
That into account I think I'll go with the white tape and dirty it up and do a purple trim on the ends of the grip

Oh dear, I'm old. Read your post and instantly thought "Cool! I wonder if he'll do the 80's cartoon or the 90's movies?" Then read the rest [emoji38]

Based on your pics I really like the first one, it has the most character in my eyes. Maybe do all their bandanas with the weapons too for display :)
Hay dude man I'm a child of the og saterday morning sit down my auld man had me watch all his favourites the 80s transformers, He-man, Thundercats, any and all tmnt then as he ran out of vhs tapes we started watching the nineties spiderman and xmen cartoons and that was my saterday mornings til I got my hands on a games console at like like age of 9 or something haha back in the good old days

You could do a purple underlay.. (giving homage to the character) and a leather wrap over that to keep it realistic and not as toy'ish perhaps?

You could do a purple underlay.. (giving homage to the character) and a leather wrap over that to keep it realistic and not as toy'ish perhaps?
You're going to have to show me what that would look like I can't quite paint that picture in my head

just a 'purple wrap/material' under the leather 'wrap' in the middle so any 'breaks/spacing' in the wrapping reveals a little purple.. maybe having it protrude out the ends a 1/4 or so as well?

Maybe the leather wrap itself can have a slight purple dye/tint to it...

not as bright as a 'toy purple'.. leather will have some organic look to it.. and not hold a birght color as much..

just a 'purple wrap/material' under the leather 'wrap' in the middle so any 'breaks/spacing' in the wrapping reveals a little purple.. maybe having it protrude out the ends a 1/4 or so as well?

Maybe the leather wrap itself can have a slight purple dye/tint to it...

not as bright as a 'toy purple'.. leather will have some organic look to it.. and not hold a birght color as much..
I get you
I will keep this in mind
Thanks

It is a good day

My staff has arrived

I will stain it as soon as possible

I will be staining the wood what the dye I have in at the moment

Here is a photo of work done with the same dye to show the results when stained and weathered with acrylic paints

(ignore the text on that last photo these are taken from my Instagram)
JPEG_20201119_153600_1426235876528524405.jpg
JPEG_20201119_153828_1443480908612763651.jpg
Screenshot_20201119-154240.jpg
Screenshot_20201119-154235.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back