I am going to challenge your expert model airplane parts

E=MC2

Sr Member
I am working on this project as well, it is (The Shape Of Things To Come) 1979 TV show.
The first part I need help on is what floatplane was used on this model ?

If I'm not mistaken, I see the rear engines are from a F-15 And the nacelles are from a MiG-21. I think the pontoon things are actually conformal fuel tanks from an F-15 or from the upper or/and lower halves of a F-15 kit.

TazMan2000

Wrong shape for F15 conformal tanks, I just looked at those parts in my Revell 1/32 F15 kit and the shapes don't match. I'd say they are seaplane floats.

If that main body is a 1/32 Eagle (what it looks like I think) then that makes the floats from 72/48 scale kit i'd say.

SAS

Thanks guys for your help.
Revell 1/48 scale F15 kit is what I think is the right one.
Kit came out in 1978.
Here is what I have so far.

What do you think of the AIRFIX 1/72nd Scale MIG-15 parts?
Also does this kit look like the right ones ?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600xx.jpg

s-l1600xcx.jpg

I just realised those 'float' parts are the same half just rotated 180° rather than being the two halves of one float next to each other. Maybe the other halves are on the bottom of the ship?

SAS

I just realised those 'float' parts are the same half just rotated 180° rather than being the two halves of one float next to each other. Maybe the other halves are on the bottom of the ship?

SAS

Ok, so the one float plane is the right one then?

- - - Updated - - -

The 2 outer pylon parts are from the Revell 1/48 scale MIG 21-PF kit (you'll need 2 of them).

-eminto

View attachment 570078

Thank you for your help.

:cheers

Any suggestions on what kit you think it is ?
Also so if you see any thing else as parts go please let me know.

Thanks

Starstreak_004.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, that pic shows I was wrong, it is two halves of a single float after all.

I think it might be a Japanese naval biplane with floats - the Type 94 aka Kawanishi E7K - Hasegawa do it in 1/72 and it was produced in the 70s so the age is right.
https://www.scalemates.com/search-solr.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=Kawanishi+E7K&qs=Search

The floats look the correct profile and in particular have very tall squared off ends which is unusual as most floats go to a pointy end.

A rough calculation and I make the floats of a 1/72 kit should be about 95mm long.

SAS

Last edited:
I think that the pair of half cylinders forward of the light grey disc are cut from the end of the 1/72 Hasegawa Leopold barrel.

Attachments

• Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 175
I think that the pair of half cylinders forward of the light grey disc are cut from the end of the 1/72 Hasegawa Leopold barrel.

Good eye and find, thanks !
I do have 5 or 6 kits of the 1/72 Hasegawa Leopold kit.

:cheers

Here's 80% of the parts identified. I'm currently working on my 'Starstreak', and will post it when finished!
Great design from a horrible horrible movie ; )

*The front of the Mig 21pf's have a 1/35 panzer III road bogie attached to the front.

Attachments

• StarstreakParts.jpg
    StarstreakParts.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 98
  • panzerIII bogies.jpg
    panzerIII bogies.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Close up scene during saucer separation; is that part one of the suspension housing from a Centurion ?

Attachments

• Undocking_003.jpg
    Undocking_003.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Undocking_003a.jpg
    Undocking_003a.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 85

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back