I’ve been offered an r2

Darthgarth

So there’s a guy on Facebook offering a
Static r2 for 1300 quid. He won’t give me any provenance for parts or casting which flags up red to me, has anyone else seen anything similar? Any advice

Attachments

• E707E856-209E-41C7-B16E-754375E7FE27.png
    E707E856-209E-41C7-B16E-754375E7FE27.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 225
  • 72E47266-22E1-43E2-89DF-946F1629051E.png
    72E47266-22E1-43E2-89DF-946F1629051E.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 255
Well...

there is an R2 Builders club you may want to check out. Many parts are now 3D printable, and the clubs does runs on parts made out of anything from cast resin to aluminum to acrylic domes.

Get more pics, closeups and compare to actual pics of R2 from the movies.

Edit: you can see that the hubs for instance (the metal thingies that go from the trunk to the legs) are covered in something that it shiny, but not full aluminum hubs

That thing looks like a mess. The front silver vents look 3d printed by the look of the surfaces. The blue arms dont seem to sit straight or flush and the holes for them are wavy and not straight. The inside of the shoulders look rough so im thinking 3d printed or wood but it looks rough. The body side panel looks bulged out. Its probably nice from about 15 feet away. Depends on what your looking for. A nice R2 with aluminum skins and dome will be more expensive but to me those are the 2 main pieces and all the other parts could be fudged a bit. That thing looks like its been fudged the whole way through. Im a bit of a picky person though and it depends on what you want. If its 3d printed im not sure i would trust it if you want to put and motors or any weight in it for movement. R2s are not a cheap prop so again it depends on what you want it for.

I've seen better. I'm thinking the sockets are covered (poorly) in aluminum tape. R2s aren't cheap, but this one has issues that takes away from it being something that is presentable as a centerpiece of a collection. If it was to be used in a fan movie from a distance it would be fine, but if you're going to display it in a corner of your house, it should stand up to some scrutiny and not look like a cheap knockoff.

That being said, some may be ok with having something like this in their den. After all, its R2D2, one of the most iconic robots ever. Despite the accuracy and quality, it still looks like a slightly worn R2. 1300 pounds would be fair is someone didn't have the skills or the time to build something so complicated. So it is basically a question whether you think its worth it or not.

BTW, this thread should be in the Star Wars Costumes and Props section.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
I am a member of the R2Builders and have built my own R2 and have seen droids in person made from many different materials. That R2 is a bit of a mess. Many of its parts are warped and poorly fit. I would stay far away from it.

yes its amazing how it looks when its not on a phone screen and i dont have beer goggles on. many thanks for the advice and thanks for moving this for me..... i will leave well alone

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back