Hybrid Sonic Screwdriver

ThePropsPerson

So ive decided to start a new build and its gonna be a hybrid between the 10th and 11th docs sonic screwdriver, ive made some rough plans and ive started to source some of components, its mostly gonna be made of metal tubing and wood as I only have a wood lathe and not a metal one. These are the plans:
image2 (2).JPGimage1 (2).JPG
PS: This is my first post so please dont be to harsh :)

Last edited:
I like the idea of making hybrid/variants of props like this. I think wood is a good material as it's easy to shape and paint. I was actually talking to someone recently about making a steampunk sonic screwdriver, in which case wood, brass, watch parts etc would make it look pretty cool.

I like the idea of making hybrid/variants of props like this. I think wood is a good material as it's easy to shape and paint. I was actually talking to someone recently about making a steampunk sonic screwdriver, in which case wood, brass, watch parts etc would make it look pretty cool.
Yeah I like using wood for things like this mainly because I think that metal on its own just looks a bit plain but also because its so easy to shape.

So ive dug these out of an old toy sonic, the sounds broken but it includes different light modes, will this be ok or should i make my own electronics?IMG_1179.JPGIMG_1177.JPG

So ive dug these out of an old toy sonic, the sounds broken but it includes different light modes, will this be ok or should i make my own electronics?

I'm not an electronics expert by any stretch of the imagination, but one things I've learned making various model kits and other projects over the years is to take inspiration from the materials on hand. I'm familiar with similar kinds of LED lights/blinkies to the one you have there (I usually take a couple to Burning Man each year)...and I don't see why they wouldn't be a great starting point for a project like this. The best part is, it's all wired together and ready to go...so now comes the fun part of figuring out how to build it into your project :D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back