Hushabye Mountain Music Player? Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

niart17

Hey guys, I figured if anybody would know this it would be someone here. My daughters and I were watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and they seemed to really like the scene of Hushabye Mountain. I would love to try to find a replica of the music player Dick Van Dyke sings to from that scene. I've tried to do searches here and just about everywhere else on the internet I could think of but had no luck finding ANY information at all on it. I can't even find still pics, only videos from youtube etc... with it in the scene. Has anybody here either made a replica of this or seen any or know any information about this prop? It's really very cool looking and would be a great gift for my girls.

Here is the scene I'm talking about with the music box about 8 seconds in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNCUuz4P3q8

Thanks in advance for any help,

Bill

temp.jpg

Looks totally fabricated. One of a kind.

One of my favorite movies from childhood that I am thankful to be able to share with my daughter too!

The bulk of Caractacus Pott's "inventions" were actually the creations of cartoonist/tinkerer Rowland Emmett and were hired from him for use in the film. Judging from the design I have little doubt that the music box is one of his or at least a custom made prop done in his style. Now, whether or not it actually played the song "Hushabye Mountain" or if that was overdubbed, which seems more likely, I do not know.

On one of the DVD/Blu-ray sets there is a supplement short film called "The Ditchling Tinkerer" which was made to be shown in theaters right before the movie started. It's a charming profile of Rowland Emmett and shows off his creations. I haven't seen it in ages so I don't recall if there are any shots of the music box or not (but now you have my curiosity peaked).

Best of luck to you on your quest!

Dave

Best childhood cinema memory, sharing the dark with the kids onscreen, as if he was singing to me. Then the camera goes outside to a little orchestral version to the timing of the windmill sails on a perfect English summers eve. Cinema magic.

Thanks for the reply guys. I figured it would be a long shot that anybody reproduced it. Dave, thanks for the info on Rowland Emmett. At least now I have a lead to look into. If I find anything I'll let you guys know. If anyone else has ANY information on this prop or even better photos of it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Did you ever come up with any further information, or make your own version of this prop niart17? I'm thinking about adding it to my project list.

That prop used to be in the Madame Tussaud’s wax museum on st Pete beach with the dick can dyke figure

dvd1.jpg
dvd2.jpg
dvd3.jpg

Here's some better pictures. The object on the right is a wine bottle with a brass wire spiked ring around it. The "speaker" on the left is an iridescent shell and a rolled up music sheet. I would wonder if the music sheet is random, or is the music to the song being played.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back