Huntorial - Transfer any design to Bio Helmets or body armor

MonkeyRaff

Hi all,

I was thinking yesterday (yes sometimes it happens to me.. lol!) and I though of a technic to paint any design to Bio helmets or armor parts. Maybe some of you know this technic but maybe others don't, so I'll try to explain it. I made some quick ugly drawings to help you understand.

So here is my first huntorial:

You will need the design you want (of course), a transparent plastic sheet and a pen to draw on it (use one made for that kind of plastic sheet).

1 - Choose a design you want, then with a transparent plastic sheet on it draw it on the plastic sheet.

2 - Put the design in front of a light and cast the shadow where you want it to be ( bio, armor, etc) to make it bigger or smaller just put the plastic sheet with the design on it near the light or far.

3 - Paint over the shadow to reproduce the desired design and voila!

Easy and you don't really need to have good drawing skills for that.
Hope you like it. Don't hesitate to make any others sugestions or ideas for it.

Thanks for readding :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats actually a really good idea man! good thinking!

Though I'd say use a thin sheet of scrap plastic as those transfer sheets that are used ofr overhead projectors can actually get kinda pricey. There are some you can eve run through a printer! so you wouldn't even have to trace

Sorta like a projector effect. You can also buy those transparent folders (for holding few pieces of papers) if those sheets are too much.
They can't cost that much these days for office stationary.

I don't think price will be an issue because how many times will you need to use the process.

Before the days of white boards (yes I'm that old) I used to study using an acetate sheet taped to graph paper and drew on it using water soluble pens. That way I could forever wipe off the drawing or text and re-use. Saved me countless trees not using paper. Same principle applies here, one sheet lasts for ages.

This is an excellent idea. It really works well. I've used this technique myself (although I printed the design on the plastic sheet, and I actually have an old overhead projector. Makes it easier). Here's some examples of what you can do...

100_0601.jpg

100_0723.jpg

The skull and scorpions were shadow cast on the the items, traced with a soft lead pencil, and then hand painted. It really works! :(

Good job Monkey for making the tutorial!

Charlie

100_0601.jpg

100_0723.jpg

Some hobby stores sell a small projectors that you can put your drawing under and project it straight onto your work surface. Cuts out alot of work and the only part of these that every really need replacing are the lite bulbs that power them. Just another idea.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back