Hunterial---"topknot's" Feet With Lifts From Start To Finish.

AlphaTech686

I wanted to take you from this.
predfeet004.jpg

To this, in a bunch of not so easy steps.
055-1.jpg

So let's start with the lifts. The photos are pretty self explanatory. I have put these in feet before
and they work very well. They are stable also. They add about 6.5 inches.
predfeet008.jpg

Next I needed something to sculpt on. Duct tape dummy of the shoe and my leg.
I found the key to a good duct tape dummy is using enough layers. I buy 2 colors
of tape so I can keep track. I used 6 layers on this. Short pieces on a form fitting
garment is a must for an accurate mold of the body part you are doing.
predfeet009.jpg

Once I cut that off I tape the seam and spread a thin layer of plaster on the inside. I keep doing that until it is solid.
This is the plaster piece and the tape. You can see the tape stood up well.
predfeet012.jpg

Next I began sculpting. My objective was to create a foot that would hide the shoe well.
predcalf002.jpg

predcalf003.jpg

predcalf005.jpg

footrefining006.jpg

predcalf004.jpg

Once I got the shape I wanted I began the task of detailing. I decided to do some alligator
looking scales on the calve portion. The eventual paint job will hide alot of this but it was
mostly an exercise in sculpting for me.
footrefiningJ007-1.jpg

footrefiningJ004.jpg

Of course at some point comes the dreaded other foot.
footrefiningH001.jpg

footrefiningH003.jpg

I really wanted to make the feet gruesome and powerful looking.
004.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

so then comes the molding, which I hate but here it is. I think these sculpts sat around
for over a year before I drug myself to the garage ro mold them.
039-1.jpg

044-1.jpg

052-1.jpg

Next of course is cleaning out the molds.
053-2.jpg

057.jpg

Finally to the latex. I always choose to us the molding latex that Hobby Lobby sells
and brush it on. This latex is thicker as it contains less amonia which means less
shrinking. I actually brushed in several coats with the molds apart. I put them together
and put in several more coats
010-3.jpg

001-2.jpg

I sewed in a 20 inch zipper down the front as the armor I designed will cover that
area. Here's a pic of that armor also.
010-2.jpg

011-1.jpg

footrefiningK007.jpg

footrefiningL001.jpg

Now comes the good stuff. First I brushed mold release onto the cast from the duct
tape dummy. Then I placed longjohn material on it. Hey it was available.
012-2.jpg

Then I placed the skin of the leg on that. By the way I placed a strip of duct tape
over the zipper on the inside so the foam wouldn't get in it.
This is where having the plug shaped as perfect as possible was important.
013-1.jpg

Now I had to place all of that back in the mold. You need to be very careful to get it in
place just right. I didn't want to have to do it over.
016.jpg

020-1.jpg

Next I place tape over the top and flipped it over. With the bottom being so open
it was the best place to start pouring in the foam. I mixed small batches of the
foam I use for dreads and built it up little at a time.
021-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

I ended up having to flip it back over and fill from the other end also as the foam
would not run all the way down there. I then removed the exterior mold and cut the
latex over the zipper.
033-2.jpg

Then I peeled the foot away from the plug and slid it off.
034-1.jpg

035-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

037-2.jpg

039.jpg

Here it is slipped over the shoe. It fit's me like a glove. Next I'll cut a piece of
black 1/2 inch rubber mat and glue it to the bottom of the whole foot as a sole.
049.jpg

050-1.jpg

047.jpg

Here's a couple with the sandle piece I designed
052.jpg

053-1.jpg

013-3.jpg

014-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

That's it for now. Any comments good or bad are appreciated. Thanks
These were taken to get an idea of proportion.
002-6.jpg

003-4.jpg

These are 99% done. I painted these with Rubber cement paint. I had never
done this before. Respirator and open garage. You can't sand this stuff off.
I'm still planning on adding a grey/green color in all the wrinkles and cracks. We'll see.
113.jpg

116.jpg

114.jpg

118.jpg

The seam on the side of the foot was left because the sandle piece will cover that area.
So here are the pics with a dark olive wash and about 140 quills. Let me know what yall think.
I did some practice stuff on the back top of the calve that will be covered with the armor.
112-1.jpg

114-1.jpg

115.jpg

125.jpg

122.jpg

120.jpg

119.jpg

118-1.jpg

117.jpg

116-1.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

So to finish the feet I decided to sculpt a piece of ankle armor. I thought it would
add to the tribal look.
004-4.jpg

006-4.jpg

008-5.jpg

010-7.jpg

002-8.jpg

003-5.jpg

006-3.jpg

001-5.jpg

018-2.jpg

020-5.jpg

I made each shackle holder spring loaded so it would give when I walk.
I have to much time on my hands I guess
022-2.jpg

001-4.jpg

So finally here are the feet 100% done.
008-4.jpg

I sculpted in a coupleof a scars near the armor damage.
010-6.jpg

011-4.jpg

012-5.jpg

013-5.jpg

014-3.jpg

015-2.jpg

018-1.jpg

019-3.jpg

020-4.jpg

023.jpg

024-2.jpg

026-2.jpg

029-2.jpg

031-1.jpg

That's it. I'm moving on to my next project, Sculpted dreads. I'll get some pics up soon.

Unbelievably AWESOME detailing on those badboys and one of the best huntorials on here. I just can't get over them. Thanks for sharing, Brother! Oh, and Webster just texted me; he'd like to come out from under your calf muscle, now...

Im sure Ive told you this before..but honestly ..those are the best looking feet Ive ever seen ..thanks for sharing the whole process

Im sure Ive told you this before..but honestly ..those are the best looking feet Ive ever seen ..thanks for sharing the whole process
You aint lying George!
Alpha, this suit is going to rock the lair once it's finished.
we've just seen the feet and I'm impressed beyond belief
great job brother!

Although ive read the leg progress thread you have on the skulls section , this again was a pleassure to read.

I could read threads like this aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall day. It never fails to get me pumped to work on something predator.

all i can say is thank god there are not many like you buddy, or i would have NO life at all, as id be stuck here reading and loving the time and effort put in.

ive seen you work on and off Topknot over the years, and i seriously hope to see this finished one day, as i think it is the most impressive build i have ever seen detail and thinking wise.

Roninpred, when you stoppin by? Predwolf they weigh about 8 lbs a peice. I assure you don't feel the weight when you walk in them. Thanks for the comments. I know this thread is in the Skulls/Skins but I thought this would be a good home for it.

ive seen you work on and off Topknot over the years, and i seriously hope to see this finished one day, as i think it is the most impressive build i have ever seen detail and thinking wise.

I agree completely.
And I cant help but wonder how big the suit/you will look all finished, if you dont mind me saying. If you look at these feet, for example, they are a lot bigger then we normally see, and if you're planning on making arms, hands etc. this size, it will grow HUGE in the end. Im not saying its wrong, not at all! Its just a little observation of mine. It's going to look quite impressive with the cheer size of everything put together (if you plan on doing so). I know you're making dreads, but are you planning on making a mask also?

Alpha,I have been wanting to so bad but work and my trips to M.D. Anderson. Have not allowed me to have time at all. I however will be taking vacation at the begining of January.I will check with you to see what day it's goood for you .I can't wait to see your suit pieces in person. the color on those feet is so real it's unreal!
LOL
Hope to see you soon
Lem
Roninpred, when you stoppin by? Predwolf they weigh about 8 lbs a peice. I assure you don't feel the weight when you walk in them. Thanks for the comments. I know this thread is in the Skulls/Skins but I thought this would be a good home for it.

WHOA! Fantastic tutorial, fantastic sculpt and paint up, adding quills to the legs and feet are a nice touch!!!

..... and oh yeah, your own calf muscle is freakishly softball shaped. Calf muscles are notoriously very hard to develop.

I agree completely.
And I cant help but wonder how big the suit/you will look all finished, if you dont mind me saying. If you look at these feet, for example, they are a lot bigger then we normally see, and if you're planning on making arms, hands etc. this size, it will grow HUGE in the end. Im not saying its wrong, not at all! Its just a little observation of mine. It's going to look quite impressive with the cheer size of everything put together (if you plan on doing so). I know you're making dreads, but are you planning on making a mask also?
The feet/calves are large. I have study several model kits and comic book characters and have notice the lower legs being out of preportion to the rest of the body. Narin has done this on a few of his sculpt and I really like the strength it gives the characters. That was my starting point on doing the legs this way. The rest of the body will be more in tune to my size. Ok, I do plan on him having larger muscles and as small a waist and joints as possible. Good observation.

Absolutely amazing! I love the level of detail you put into your sculpts AND your tutorial! Thank you for posting all the steps so that those of us who are looking to sculpt some things on our own can see how the masters do it!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back