Hunterial Of The Topknot Gauntlet---89 Photos With Explinations--Video At The End

AlphaTech686

These first photos are of the original plan to use a Tamiya gearbox. It was a debacle hence a learning experience. The gearbox stripped out in about 10 seconds. You can also see the original blade design had 3 blades and 2 more would pop up on the way out. It would still have the blade coming out the back.
gauntletmechanics2.jpg

gauntletmechanics1.jpg

Here is a photo of the original 5 blade assembly. I went through the whole process of molding to painting and in the end scrapped the blades for a different design.
attachedpopups005.jpg

attachedpopups007.jpg

Here you can see the motor and sprocket assembly I ended up using. The motor is from a power car window assembly. The sprocket and chain are nylon and I found them online from a company called Stock Drive Products.
gauntpopblade008.jpg

If you look close at the drawer slide mechanism you will see I placed a second ballbearing slider attached to the first. The reason you have to do this is because if you only use the one that comes with it eventually your blades will work their way right off the end. With 2 of them the blades never work their way off and in fact they self adjust every time the hit at either end. On the forward end I placed a nut and bolt to act as a stop. They are not pictured here. You can also see that I used a piece of sheet metal to attach the motor to the slide.
190.jpg

Here is the block of high density plastic I used to hold the blades. You can see I screwed it to the slide piece from the bottom. The spring and arm assembly was how I achieved the small center blade popping up on the way out.
002-11.jpg

005-7.jpg

007-5.jpg

Here you can see the arm that I had to fabricate to attach the blade assembly to the chain.
212.jpg

202.jpg

This is the rear blade assembly. While I was staring at this thing one day I realised I could attach a blade to the bottom of the chain and send a blade out the back, It was a light bulb moment.
193.jpg

197.jpg

This might be hard to explain but this is how the top attaches to the bottom once my arm is in. First off the entire top is attached to the forearm piece by a hinge at the very back. You can see two little springs attached to two little hinges. There is a little hole in each hinge that when the top comes down the spring loaded hinges slide over two screws that then slide into the holes in the hinge as it closes. I can then use my thumb and forefinger to push the springed hinges open to lift the top to get out of it.
008-12.jpg

214.jpg

003-12.jpg

004-10.jpg

The pictures are a little out of order. Her is the forearm sculpt and the finished fiberglass piece.
4armpeice004.jpg

forearmcast005.jpg

moreforearm008.jpg

Here is a couple of pictures of the first blade assembly complete and working. I tore it down when I decided the blades just weren't very deadly looking.
tophandonG.jpg

ToprearsprocketG6.jpg

topextendbladesideG9.jpg

Here are the new blades. I decided to make them individually out of Lexan. I have to admit I stumbled across a picture of a hand made hunting knife at a half price book store that gave me the idea for the new blade design. I attached the faux drive rods onto the lexan blades with small steel pins and glue.
013-9.jpg

019-6.jpg

021-2.jpg

014-6.jpg

027-5.jpg

030-2.jpg

029-3.jpg

006-9.jpg

Here are the limit switches that are at each end of the blade slide. These switches allow me to use one toggle that can be flipped one way for open and one way for closed. They also act as catches to keep the blades either open or closed. If the blades start to slide closed for instance once they move off the limit stwitch the motor kicks them back in place and then shuts off again as the blades move back in place over the swtch. You can also see the front latching mechanism in the second photo.
006-13.jpg

007-10.jpg

Next was sculpting the blade housing. I decided to mold the blade assembly as a whole to create a block of plaster the correct size to sculpt on. I actually did this twice much to my chagrin. I did it for both blade assemblies. Once again an exersize in patients. The first 3 photos are of the first blade assembly.
873.jpg

875.jpg

870.jpg

237.jpg

234.jpg

001-7.jpg

002-12.jpg

003-10.jpg

004-7.jpg

Next was the sculpting. I really enjoy this part the most. I used do-dads from model ships for the mechanical details.
008-9.jpg

009-6.jpg

009-6.jpg

006-10.jpg

011-7.jpg

012-8.jpg

013-10.jpg

014-7.jpg

015-4.jpg

016-3.jpg

017-6.jpg

025-4.jpg

Then the molding. This part I hate. I used brush on silicone with a mother mold made a Shell Shock from Smooth-On. Actually I only did half the mother mold in shell shock. The other half was plaster bandages. I decide the shell shock took to long. I had to try it once though.
131.jpg

130.jpg

007-8.jpg

008-10.jpg

Demolding, cleaning out clay, and casting. I decided to cast the piece in Shell Shock. If I had it to do over I would have used fiberglass like I usually do. They are both messy but in the end the fiberglass would have been a bit lighter.
009-7.jpg

010-11.jpg

011-8.jpg

012-9.jpg

014-8.jpg

015-5.jpg

016-4.jpg

020-6.jpg

I ended up having to cut it into 2 pieces to get it on the blade assembly. I had to fabricate a couple of brackets to afix it to.
006-11.jpg

057-1.jpg

001-9.jpg

Next was the front end where the blades come out. I had to deal with these holes after the sculpting process as I could not know exactly where they would end up. I eventually cut the whole end out and made a separate piece out of alluminum.
007-9.jpg

006-12.jpg

009-8.jpg

Here is a photo of the inside. I reinforced the edges with alluminum to except screws. You can also see the track that the small center blade rides on.
005-10.jpg

Next came the painting. I've been using a base of Antique Bronze on all of my armor and on this. I then used a paper towel to blot on a dark brown and a light brown. Then I did a very thinned down wash of light avocado. Then came a thinned down wash of black. I kept blotting on more and more black towards the front by the blades as this area would be very stained from all the blood and guts that passed over it. The forearm piece was not completely aged on some of the photos.
013-11.jpg

014-10.jpg

016-5.jpg

017-7.jpg

018-3.jpg

025-5.jpg

027-6.jpg

035-4.jpg

037-3.jpg

038-1.jpg

040.jpg

043-1.jpg

008-13.jpg

005-12.jpg

Oh yea, this is powered by a 12 volt lead acid battery from Batteries Plus. I velcroed in the forearm piece.
002-15.jpg

004-11.jpg

And finally here is the link to the youtube video--

Awesome!! I was really looking forward to seeing the huntorial!!! thank you so much for posting!!! great imagination and ideas for putting it all together!!! major props man!!!

Love the whole thing!

Impressive! o_O
You are a great!
A curiosity, how much does it weigh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey KGC, it weighs about 6 pounds. Believe it or not it fit well and it feels ok on. It did end up a little bulky but I wanted the blade length. Topknot is going to be a bulky dude, armor and physique.

great! :cool:
Apart from the size and weight, at least for me , is the best I'veever seen, again congratulations!
You could, of course, if you want to make a scheme of electronics?components that you used and how did you get connected together?
I would be eternally grateful! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou for the effort you put into this buddy! This is off the hook. I am gonna sit down and get nitty gritty looking at things once I am home from work. This is very cool and very helpful!

Excellent work!

That is an amazing piece of work ! Weel done! Thank you for the tutorial and video. How much does it weigh approximately?

@uglimofo "it weighs about 6 pounds. Believe it or not it fit well and it feels ok on. It did end up a little bulky but I wanted the blade length. Topknot is going to be a bulky dude, armor and physique." From an earlier post.

@made007 from the picture it seems like it's running on a 12 volt lead acid battery from Batteries Plus. Velcroed in the forearm piece.

@uglimofo "it weighs about 6 pounds. Believe it or not it fit well and it feels ok on. It did end up a little bulky but I wanted the blade length. Topknot is going to be a bulky dude, armor and physique." From an earlier post.

@made007 from the picture it seems like it's running on a 12 volt lead acid battery from Batteries Plus. Velcroed in the forearm piece.

ok, but with a different motor i believe, cause if i put 12 volt to the tamiya i dont think its gonna work, im using 6 volts and it works good, thanks for the info

Hey Made007, trust me when I tell you don't use that Tamiya. Those little plastic gears will strip out quick when they are pushing the weight of a couple of blades.

Just thought I would bring this out of the dust so soem of the newbies could see it. I will let you all know I am on the verge of posting a true retractable/extendable spear. I think everyone will enjoy it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back