HP3 Marauders Map

division 6

Master Member
I'm guessing it's a no, but does anyone have the full graphics and or Tutoral on making the Marauders Map in Harry Potter 3?

I finally saw it the other day and thought it was the coolest paper prop.

Anyone, anyone?
icon_biggrin.gif

D6

These are off the screen cap site?

Definatly a starting point.

Thanks.
icon_smile.gif

Guess I'll need to start working on my lettering skills.
icon_razz.gif

D6

OK so no one has info on this, SO.
Would some one be kind enough to do some caps of at least the entire front and maybe first page for a dummy display?

Pretty Please.
icon_biggrin.gif

D6

The issue with the film map is that there are multiple fold-out layers and TONS of text that is hard to read. I was excited to see what they'd do with the map in the film, and it is handled brilliantly - its just not something that is easy to replicate.

I'd settle for one that was just the front page
icon_smile.gif

Todd

Front page is fine with me.
The length of the whole thing open looks to be a good 6' to 8' or more.
That's a lot of paper.

I'd just like a good pic of the whole face.

The pix above are very nice but cut off the top and bottom.
icon_frown.gif

D6

I ran some of the pix through Photo Shop to try and scale it out.
What I thought was more folds looks to be more pages off the center.
(see pic)
Marauders_map_dimensions.jpg

Now using a pic of Harry with wand in hand which is 14" long, I got a rough height of 18" and width of 8".
Than using the above pic and a few others I got a rough measurement of 56"
So the over all size comes out to be about 18"x56" give or take.

Thought's, comments, better measurments?
icon_biggrin.gif

I also noticed that tha text that makes up the walls repeats itself quite a bit.

D6

If you have the DVD, there are Marauder map details faded into the background of the paper insert. The title page has a reproduction of the map face before you open it ("Messrs Moony" salutation and castle walls.)

For an artist, there should be enough there for a good start, if all you're after is the look of the folded map.

Thanks for the tip.
At the moment me Mum has my DVD.

I thought I had the basic paper construction figured out but I need my DVD back to figure out one section.
HP_PRISONER_OF_AZKABAN_DISC1-1147.jpg

This ones throwing me off.
I figure I'll do the basic graphics layout of what I have pix of then finish it off when I get my movie back or someone posts more pix.

I noticed this morning that "Marauder" makes up a large portion of the text on the map.
icon_razz.gif

D6

If you're just making the first page, why not make the map as Snape sees it? Then you have a reason for it being blank.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out the overall bulk.
What you see on edge not just a copy of the face to put in a frame.

Even if it has no graphics it still has all the pages.
icon_wink.gif

Not looking for the easy way out on this project.

D6

Newsprint would make a good base to start. Contact your local newspaper, they sell the last bit from the rolls that are left over from printing. They usually charge like 25 cents an inch thickness of whats laft from the core. Nice hight on it and then you can make it as long as you need to by just rolling out more as you need it.

As for the actual printing, well im still working on that one.

I have a role of printing paper from the print shop my Mom used to work at, so that part is covered.

I think Michaels has calligraphy sets on sale this week, although I think I still have my old set somewhere.

just need to get the inks.

D6

Actually you want some parchment paper not newspaper. newspaper would be the wrong texture and weight, let alone color (although it could be aged of course to be close).

And dont forget red ink.

I just thought of another place where you can get some nice shots of the front cover of the map....the WB HP website had a nice flash map going on there..... yup just checked it's still there! And don't skip the intro as it shows the entire map unfolded so one could at least see roughly how long it is.

www.harrypotter.com

Good luck!! Looking forward to seeing your progress!!

hmmm which version of flash do you have on your system? You migt need to upgrade it.... just a thought.

Oh, man! That map is crazy! It sure beats the crap out of the Time Bandits one
icon_lol.gif

I had started a folder on sections of it awhile back, but geez that's a time consumer!
The official web site does have a good animation on how it folds out though!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back