Howdy...I'm looking for replica rifles and a sword for an Opera Production

astroboy

Master Member
Does anyone know of a company I can order reasonable props like this? Someone with a catalog I can browse? They don't need to be super accurate (It's on stage, not on film)

I already have 8 rifles, I just need two more.

As for the sword, I need something safe for the stage (I don't have a reference yet)

Thanks!

For swords, you can try Museum Replicas, they have a nylon/latex section that might suit your needs. But some of these designs might be kind of on the fantasy, but they also have a section for actual steel swords, some are cheap wall hangers and others are properly made and historically accurate but all come blunt by default. Kult of Athena used to be good, but I've heard that they've gone downhill recently. But KoA would give you a good place to look and if you see something that you like, you could then do a search to see if you can find it elsewhere. Also, Amazon is not too bad of a place to look if all you're looking for is a prop sword.

I should add that if you plan on choreographing any sword fights in your production I would avoid buying any wall hangers. These will often not be sturdy enough to handle blade on blade contact and will often be overweight and/or have poor balance. If you're going to have any actual fighting, I'd look for either dedicated stage weapons of swords labeled as battle ready by the side. Another option would be to visit HEMA supply shops and buy nylon trainers, these would weigh about the same (+/- 3 lbs) as a properly made steel sword but would be much safer since they wouldn't have any bit of an edge or point. They often come in plain white, but some silver spray paint should be good enough for a stage production.

Hi Gang,

There is no fighting on this show at all. He just has to hold it. I managed to get this locally and people are very happy about it.

However, I do need to dull the tip. Any thoughts on rounding this without discolouring it? The oiled blade is "forged with well-tempered high carbon spring steel and beautifully set with a deep fuller".

Will a grinder work? Or a metal cutting blade?

BTW, I got two great rifles from denix

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back