How would you make a mask?

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by surfdeska, Feb 15, 2012.

1. surfdeska

surfdeska New Member

The thing is I have never made a mask. So I thought you good people can help me.:lol

The mask in question is a Phantom of the opera mask (the half face mask) and I am looking for a way of not making it to difficult and expensive to make but still make it look awesome( smooth and glossy ). I have about 3 day's free from school and think that should be enough time to make.

Thank you for your help in advance.

2. scorpion

scorpion Active Member

i think is not a complicated mask, you can build it on cardstock and finish with bondo. is an idea :)

3. Robert412

Robert412 Well-Known Member

Since you only have three days, and you're not familiar with the methods used, this is a tight squeeze.

My suggestion is make a base (on your face) with a safe plaster. The important thing is that it sits comfortably on your face. Make it as thin as possible. Finish it off with some bondo. Sand, paint.

Any better quick suggestions? Sculpting it with sculpey, then molding it in latex and casting in resin, would be ideal.

4. MCL34N

MCL34N Well-Known Member

I would just use plaster bandages if you have no experience with mask making. You can pick up a roll of them for under $10 usually, trace the outline of the mask you want on your face, put on some kind of release agent (vaseline works well) then have a friend lay the strips evenly on your face inside the outline, smoothing it out as you go. Then you can sand it and give it a glossy finish. The biggest issue would be the weight of it, so you'd probably have to attach a strip of elastic. Studio Creations is a great resource for this kind of thing if you're just starting out-

Rivets and Buttons

5. Shades

Shades Well-Known Member

I would get a cheap plastic facemask and some air clay. Use the mask as a base for the shape of your face and foam the clay. Dry. Sand. Paint. I made one like this for my brother years ago.

6. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Craft foam is what I use.

Here are two examples I made for a production of Narnia:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supplies:paper, scissors, White Craft, Iron, paint, elastic string, face shape (styrofoam head or a mask - I don't recommend you use YOUR face unless you want to be burned) Hole puncher

Optional Supplies: fabric, heat n' bond, grommets

Basic directions:
    1. Cut a pattern the basic shape you want from the paper. Hold it up to your face to make sure it's the right size, eye hole and all.

2. Iron the white foam on both sides (careful not to scorch) This seals the pours in the foam so it will take the paint better later and pre-shrinks it.

3. Using your pattern, cut the foam to the shape you want. (doesn't have to be exact here)

4. While it's still hot, (reheat if necessary) press it on your face shape until it cools. The foam will hold it's shape. Trim to the exact shape.

5. Paint shiny white

6. Punch holes in temples and tie on elastic.

Optional for stronger mask.

After stage 2. Iron on Heat n. Bond to the foam, peel the paper, iron on the fabric. Proceed to stage 3.

At stage 6. Punch in grommets to make it stronger.

(edits cause I forgot a stage! :D )

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. clonesix

clonesix Sr Member

If I am not mistaken, a run-o-the-mill vacu-formed costume mask can be purchased and cut down to make th ephantom mask. These are available at costume shops and on the web

8. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Get a cheap blank costume mask and oil based clay. Mold and shape your mask on top of it (reinforce underneath the mask so it doesn't collapse in on itself) to your tastes. Brush some vaseline over the clay and around the base of the mask and lay plaster on top of the mask to build a mold.

Bondo or resin/fiberglass (or both) inside the empty cavity when you remove the original sculpt. Should take no more than 1-2 days most depending on your skill level.

If that's too much; grab air drying clay and do the cheap-mask-base thing mentioned earlier but juts skip the other steps. Sculpt, let dry, sand, paint. Bam.

9. clayslinger

clayslinger Well-Known Member

10. JnAStudios

JnAStudios New Member