How would you do a 1990 TMNT Foot soldier costume?

Welmanshire

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey, I am going to a costume party about a month from now and I have a replica of the masks the foot clan wore in the 1990 TMNT film. So, I figured why not do a foot soldier build? I have also got a pair of the two toed ninja shoes. I haven't really seen a screen used costume or even a replica before, only what I have seen on film. I am open to any and all advice.

this looks like a good starting base HERE or THIS

there is some reference stuff HERE but its tmnt2

tatsu-tmnt.jpg

footclan1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reference photos. I think the part I will struggle with the most is the shirts they wear. It's sort of like they have extruding shoulder pads or something and quite baggy sleeves. Does anyone know how this could be done? All I can think of is rigging something up using two t shirts, one long sleeve and the other short sleeve. Thoughts?

Thanks for the reference photos. I think the part I will struggle with the most is the shirts they wear. It's sort of like they have extruding shoulder pads or something and quite baggy sleeves. Does anyone know how this could be done? All I can think of is rigging something up using two t shirts, one long sleeve and the other short sleeve. Thoughts?

Looks to me like they're wearing a vest over a shirt which would give you that appearance of the protruding/padded shoulders and slim sleeves.

Do the company that make morphsuits do a hood on it's own?
I reckon you could use a black boilersuit, lycra hood. Use a sewing machine to stitch in eyeholes, cut them out (inside the stitching so it doesn't fray) and then fabricate the mesh lenses from plastic mesh that you could form over a hard boiled egg to get the right kinda shape. If you formed it using hot water it should retain it's shape, you then use silicone to attach it to a piece of plastic (the same shape as the eyeholes) and stick it onto the hood.
Black body warmer, red band for your head and you are good to go :D

This seems to be the design of their costume. I can't figure out materials properly in the time I have (plus i can't really sew well) so I will probably be modifing some black clothing. I have some pants that will do the trick now and I will be spending the next few hours working out the top. Does anyone agree with\have any ideas on how to achieve the above design?

Do the company that make morphsuits do a hood on it's own?
I reckon you could use a black boilersuit, lycra hood. Use a sewing machine to stitch in eyeholes, cut them out (inside the stitching so it doesn't fray) and then fabricate the mesh lenses from plastic mesh that you could form over a hard boiled egg to get the right kinda shape. If you formed it using hot water it should retain it's shape, you then use silicone to attach it to a piece of plastic (the same shape as the eyeholes) and stick it onto the hood.
Black body warmer, red band for your head and you are good to go :D

Thanks for the input man, but I'm good for the mask. I have a replica of the ones they wore in the movies :) Really good ideas on how to make one though!

So this is what I have come up with for the shoulder part. I think it will work. It is just a strip of beer carton cardboard hot glued to the bottom of a t shirt sleeve, then rolled up to the shoulder seam and hot glued in place. Thoughts?

So, I recieved my foot soldier replica mask. It's pretty cool, but it didn't fit my head properly. It was a bit big, making me look really thick in the neck and had "cat ears" from stretching on the crown. So I got to work sewing and tightened everything up. Another thing I touched up was the grommets on the mouth, they were really shiney metal, so I hit them with a gloss black enamel paint and scratched it a bit for a worn look.I will post pictures when I am able to get to my computer. I had a stroke of luck whilst in a textile store too. I think I may have found a fabric that could pass for the "vest" they wear. I will have to have a bit of a play, so we will see.

So I had a bitof a changeof heart. The second picture shows the original shape of the replica I bought. The first picture shows the altered replica next to the mask I made/sewed that I intend on using. It fits much more snug and I feel is more true to the film version. I may use the eyes off the replica ibought, but I am going to the hardware store tomorrow tolook at some woven wire to use and grab some eyelets/grommets for the mouth. I will have to wait for my sewing machine to arrive to tackle the vest. Let me know what you guys think so far.

That's awesome. Your costume looks like it's coming together nicely. I recently decided to be a foot soldier for Halloween, so I'm glad I found this forum.

Well looks like I will have a bit longer to work on this costume as I ended up having surgery and being in hospital for a week. So I had to change the date of the party - not a bad thing, just gives me more time to get a better quality costume done. Does any one have any idea on what kind of material the Foot's shirts are made of in the 1990 film? I know what they used for the 2nd film, just not the 1st one.

each foot costume had a shoulder wrap that crossed the chest and was a one piece in the back.. very common on ninjas in the 80's very popular in the american ninja 2

footclan1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

MV5BNjM2Mzk2MDkzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTEwMTcyNA__V1__SX640_SY960_.jpg

Dang Frasier! Had no idea you were working on this, awesome job! So where's the finished product or update?

Where did you buy your mask from?

Hey dude, I got it off ebay, but I think it may have originated here. Have a search around.

each foot costume had a shoulder wrap that crossed the chest and was a one piece in the back.. very common on ninjas in the 80's very popular in the american ninja 2

footclan1.jpg

MV5BNjM2Mzk2MDkzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTEwMTcyNA__V1__SX640_SY960_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Cheers for the input, but they are definitely a one piece pullover vest. No crossover systems that I have seen. And trust me, I have studied these guys.

Dang Frasier! Had no idea you were working on this, awesome job! So where's the finished product or update?

Hey man, I was working on this, but it got put back because of hospital. I will be working on it in coming weeks now I am fighting fit-ish... Your turtle build is still 10 times as impressive!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back