How would I properly power 6 12volt pc fans to cool a suit/costume?

Egon Spengler

Master Member
I've recently purchased 6 12volt PC fans that I want to use to keep cool in a large costume. The fans are 3000 RPM, 41 CFM, 33 DBA, .23 AMP AND 12 VDC. I'd like to run them off of rechargeable powerbanks if possible. I'm just not sure what type of power bank or power banks I'd need to power all 6? I've thought of buying 2 power banks with 3 USB ports on them and having each power 3 of the fans. I'm just not sure about power output and all.

Any advice?

Thanks!

USB power banks output 5 Volts. Those fans won't spin fast much at that voltage.

You need a power bank that will output 12V This bank claims it is has an 6 Amp Hour capacity at 12V.

Each of those fans consumes 0.23 amps x 6 fans = 1.38 Amps @ 12V. In theory that power brick can run the fans for 4.3 hours, but in reality you will probably get 2 or 3 hours from it.

Also, when reading the capacity of a battery bank, make sure and talk volts into account. Some models have huge numbers, because they just add up the capacity of the 3.7V batteries inside. A 10000mAh (10aH) battery at 5V is not the same as a 10aH battery at 12V.

USB power banks output 5 Volts. Those fans won't spin fast much at that voltage.

You need a power bank that will output 12V This bank claims it is has an 6 Amp Hour capacity at 12V.

Each of those fans consumes 0.23 amps x 6 fans = 1.38 Amps @ 12V. In theory that power brick can run the fans for 4.3 hours, but in reality you will probably get 2 or 3 hours from it.

Also, when reading the capacity of a battery bank, make sure and talk volts into account. Some models have huge numbers, because they just add up the capacity of the 3.7V batteries inside. A 10000mAh (10aH) battery at 5V is not the same as a 10aH battery at 12V.
Excellent information! Thank you so much!

You will want to wire all six fans and the power pack in parallel (not chained in series). By that I mean connect all positive leads together and then all negative leads together. You could run two heavier gauge (thicker) insulated copper wires throughout the costume to act as a power bus and then connect the fans and power to the bus wherever they are needed.

If you have any dud power tool batteries, Depending on your expertise in ripping stuff apart and soldering, you could make a pack yourself, and customise the shape and size to suit the suit? Even adding more cells to up the AH

Just a thought, ive used many, many power packs over the years when a battery pack has gone dead (One cell fails) ive ripped them apart and used the good cells for helicopters and all sorts.

Of course if you dont have any dud batteries, there are very cheap 12v 5ah LIION battery packs on the bay for power tools.....not sure if they are cheaper than that option above though LOL. But you could literally have as many AH as you can fit in your suit by adding cells.

A word of warning on power tool batteries: They probably won't have any good power limiting safety features, after all they are designed to drive lots of amps for tools. If you ended up with a wire shorted in your suit: You might and up on fire or burned. Some cheap power banks won't have short circuits protection either. The I posted lists short circuit protection as a feature, but it may only be on the actual batteries, not the output.

I should have mentioned the need for current protection.

Blowing up chips and watching small capacitors go pop isnt fun.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back