How would I mold this?

Marvelfan

So, I've got this Clockwork Orange maskie I've been sculpting, but the thing is I'm not sure how I would mold it. Here it is:
unnamed.jpg unnamed-1.jpg

At first, I was thinking a two piece plaster mold. I made a mold wall from cardboard, but the more I thought about it the more flaws I realized. The little half sphere's you see on there are registration keys.
unnamed-2.jpg

Then somebody suggested to me a one piece mold. Which I'm pretty sure wouldn't work because the clay would get stuck.
So, how would I go about molding this thing? I know it's going to a plaster mold, but I've no idea how. I've seen people use water based clay for mold walls, but seeing it comes in large quantities and the sculpt itself, not sure it would work out. Help?
Thanks!

Its true that you could do a one piece silikon mold of it, but the mothermold could be in 2 pieces. That way you would be able to get to the silicone . Some silicones are pretty stretchy and you would be able to take it off the cast.

Its true that you could do a one piece silikon mold of it, but the mothermold could be in 2 pieces. That way you would be able to get to the silicone . Some silicones are pretty stretchy and you would be able to take it off the cast.

Yeah, that part I knew, I'm going to be casting it in latex and I read that you can't do cast latex in a silicone mold. Is this true or should I keep pursuing the plaster way?
P.S.
Is cardboard reliable when it comes to mold walls?

Yes it's true , Its much better then to make the mold in plaster. Cardboard does get soggy when wet ,so its not the best thing to use. But you could cover it with a few layers of duct-tape and that should work a little better too prevent it from the wetness.

Yes it's true , Its much better then to make the mold in plaster. Cardboard does get soggy when wet ,so its not the best thing to use. But you could cover it with a few layers of duct-tape and that should work a little better too prevent it from the wetness.

Okee dokee, thanks!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back