How was Vader's helmet modified from ANH to ESB to ROTJ

I Thought I would put up these videos I had downloaded if anybody hasn't seen it

I know a lot of guys have seen it but to gather in the spirit of gathering as much info on Vader's helmet in one central place
I think these videos have a great contribution to add

View attachment 1302153

I'm not sure who did this but who ever posted this hacked up this deleted scene. It was never finished. We can actually hear Prowse say "I'll wait his convenience."

Worms marked with white arrows (My VP mask from the UK mold).

I’ve been reading along and following. But still confused with the term “worms”

“Worm” is the groove where the flat edge meets the step below the eye?

Attachments

• picture 063.jpg
    picture 063.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 339
I will apolgise if this has been shared before on here and is old news, but a forum member here-Jez Firth AKA Gonk droid- spoke to the original painter of the ANH helmet. He said they used a Rolls Royce black. He couldn't remember the exact code but the go to RR black at the time was Mason's black. A friend got some mixed up but was warned by the paint shop that it was a very awkward and slow drying paint, we tried it anyway ( at this point we were under the mistaken belief the ANH helmet had been brush painted, it was only in a conversation a while afterwards Jez confirmed that the painter had actually mentioned spraying it! ), the really interesting thing was that it did indeed take a very long time to paint, but it starts off a very high gloss and as it drys it tends to turn more of a satin/ matt finish. It also retains a degree of tackiness which means any dust will easily settle onto the surface and if you handle it it's a right bitch for fingerprints.

What was interesting to see was when painting a second coating over it the paint under the surface hadn't properly dried and what you end up with is gunked paint dragging underneath the brush strokes, some the build up looked almost identical to the roughness on the faceplate- including that much debated scar!

The closest match I have found off the shelf isn't a finishing paint as such, it was a can of Halford's guide spray!

The other thing that stood out about Masons black was the original paint code- 501!
Thanks for this, very interesting info. I wonder if the same kind of paint was used in ROTJ to make it duller in half of the scenes?

I'm not sure who did this but who ever posted this hacked up this deleted scene. It was never finished. We can actually hear Prowse say "I'll wait his convenience."
It's some mock up, Vader's line is clearly from Rogue One.

I have no idea remains a cool scene wish they left it in the movie
Agh, I guess to each his own, I always hated it. It's like Vader knows nothing more than choke everyone just because, also it just seems wrong that Jerjerrod puts Vader in his place.
But he looks noticably polished and shiny there and the subsequent scene when Palpy sends him to Endor. He's much duller when they speak and he is sent to the far side with the fleet, then shiny again during the shuttle Tydirium scene and REALLY dull in the Endor scene with Luke.

Apologies Carsten I did not mean to complicate things
I was merely making an educated guess on my part as I was not aware of the simplified factual answer you and Juan have provided
I deleted my post to avoid confusion .
Thank you very much for providing the correct answer ! :D
Oh, I would never ask of you to delete or change your answers and I'm sorry if I come off a little stand-off-ish. The detail is just one of those features that is used to authenticate a helmet being from the UK mold lineage.

Oh, I would never ask of you to delete or change your answers and I'm sorry if I come off a little stand-off-ish. The detail is just one of those features that is used to authenticate a helmet being from the UK mold lineage.
Hahaha don't worry man
See I am a game ranger by profession so in my business if I have wrongly identified a bird or Animal sign
and say a more experienced game ranger were to give the correct answer

I am to recognize my error and correct

Vader is funnily enough much the same much of it is like tracking elephant lol its either a elephant track or its not
same with Vader the features are the features and they are know and so there can only be one answer

So I apply the same rules to Vader can't speculate it as something and then keep my answer
when the More experienced Ranger has spoken :D :D :D (You are one of them Carsten :lol: Vader ranger lol)

Oh... actually... much of what we know is just conjecture that seems plausible. It's a lot of cross referencing and matching and trying to figure out the reasons behind what we are observing, correlating it with facts and rumors and compiling it into a larger narrative - that again isn't 100%. The simplest answers are usually the most accurate and likely, such as the worms being an artifact of the UK mold lineage - I could be mistaken, but I do not think an authentic LFL helmet from that mold lineage has been found without those, so the likelihood of it being a defect of the actual UK mold seems more likely than something happening at a later molding stage. When production, tour and fan owned helmets from that lineage all have it... the simplest answer seems to suggest it was always there from when the original helmet was molded for ESB.

And you are giving me way too much credit here.

Oh... actually... much of what we know is just conjecture that seems plausible. It's a lot of cross referencing and matching and trying to figure out the reasons behind what we are observing, correlating it with facts and rumors and compiling it into a larger narrative - that again isn't 100%. The simplest answers are usually the most accurate and likely, such as the worms being an artifact of the UK mold lineage - I could be mistaken, but I do not think an authentic LFL helmet from that mold lineage has been found without those, so the likelihood of it being a defect of the actual UK mold seems more likely than something happening at a later molding stage. When production, tour and fan owned helmets from that lineage all have it... the simplest answer seems to suggest it was always there from when the original helmet was molded for ESB.

And you are giving me way too much credit here.
Credit were credit is due man you have much knowledge on the subject yourself
but as well there are many great knowledgeable guys on here and the Den,Facebook and SLD that all contribute to the great info on Vader and who have helped me on learning about Vader

Yes true it is a lot of conjecture that is likely the most plausible but it's also many man hours of research and comparing
and handling of many different samples across a wide spectrum. A swell as rigorous scrutiny applied to these items to rule out certain claims about Vader's helmet and in the end all this together is more than scientifically verifiable that indeed the Facts put out by the community who study these helmets can be regards as the solid facts that indeed this is how it is and can be seen and found in all helmets coming from the Uk mold
thus indeed it is from the one UK mold and only from that one mold

An alleged screen used ROTJ Vader Helmet photographed by Wired Magazine in the LFL props archive.

View attachment 1302484
Absolutly beautiful love ROTJ thanks Craig for sharing
only mystery I have about this helmet is I have seen convincing evidence to identify the helmet
from the hangar scene and it has been identified

and this is not that helmet this is also not the stunt helmet with the fat lip yet this helmet has
the fine mesh behind the main mouth grill

as far as I am aware only helmets with those features where the stunt and the Reveal

did they perhaps add the mesh after filming ? and the other thing most movie used ROTJ helmets all have the gold tinted lenses
and is clearly to this day from photo evidence the yellowish bronze tint it hasn't much discolored

yet this one has green lenses and is attributed to age that has discolored the lenses
but how come this one aged then so

Only helmet I can perhaps think this helmet is perhaps this one
If one looks closely at the right eye looking head on you can make out the lip bulge of the eye
Like in the photo of the wired magazine helmet where the right eye has this bulge or appears as a bulge just below the eyebrow lip
83991353_2517921538450993_4466074734328545280_n (1).jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back