How to swap boot soles??

GBrittelleJr

Hello all, does anyone know how to (without the aid of a cobbler) swap a boot sole? These are what I have, the vinyl Batman Gotham 100's
cf76ef6c.jpg

And I want to put those soles on these boots
51a3b375.jpg

I'm thinking I cut the sole off the pirate boots so it's basically a boot cover, then cut the Gothams into basically a slip on with a 2 inch ring of material around the sole, then glue the two together? To anyone with experience in such things, does that sound right? I would like to know exactly what I'm doing before I ruin two pairs of otherwise perfectly good boots. Thanks!

Greg

I'm no expert but I was curious as to why you didn't want to take them to a shoe repair store? I've had soles swapped or replaced on shoes before and it's usually not to expensive. Somewhere ranging from $20-$40 depending on how much you're getting done. I just feel I'd rather spend the extra cash to have someone pro do it then ruin two pairs of shoes. I've seen plenty of people who fiddle with their shoes only to have the shoe just fall apart.

Other then that though I believe that most shoes have something underneath the sole. If it's a fairly well made shoe you should be able to pry the sole off and still have a bottom left to your boot and then just glue the other sole on.

But by the time you spend money on the tools and materials you need to resole your shoe you're getting close to what it would cost to have a cobbler do it.

But I'm sure there are people here who make their own shoes who could lead you more in the correct direction with tips and stuff.

Well, since posting this I got a pretty decent quote in town to do it professionally. I just tend to try things myself, and had previously received quotes of $75 and up to do it. But now, it's settled and am taking them in. Thanks everyone!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back