How to stretch a leather belt??

lalarys

Hi all! I'm new around here and not really sure if I'm posting in the right place, but I need your help!

I recently bought a Jyn Erso belt through Etsy from an overseas vendor. Decent quality and screen accurate. However...I'm a costuming noob, and I made a mistake when I gave my measurements. When he asked for my "waist" measurement, I gave my true waist, not my "cool-holster-slightly-above-hip" waist, so now I've got a cool belt that is about 2 inches too tight. I can still wear it, but it looks pretty goofy.

After some internet research, I've found soaking in 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and warm water is a suggestion, but I'm not sure what the leather will look like after? (My goal is to get into the Rebel Legion)

Would you guys recommend I try to send back and order a different one, compensating the vendor for the time crafting a new one? Or should I try stretching it myself?

Thank you!!

I would recommend sending back and ordering a new one... I've never tried the alcohol and water trick though... My thoughts are it would damage the finish on the leather and then you would be forced to order another either way. This is a good mistake in one way though (the measurements part) because now you have learned how to not give measurements for these type of things and have likely learned from this situation for the better of your cosplaying life.

Good luck on your build,
PR2

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

I worked with leather for many years, doing many different things in a shoe repair shop. My honest opinion is definitely send back and re-order. There is no real way to stretch it that much. Hope I helped.

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

Your only other option may be to splice in a 2-3 inch section of some other leather somewhere that may not be seen much (the middle?). That's assuming you have the skill and tools to sew it.

Thanks guys, you've saved me from agonizing over this...since he's overseas it's going to be a two month ordeal to return, I may just try to sell the one I have and buy a new one from him.

Arrrgh, such a silly mistake!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back