"How to" Static LED Numbers? Help, please

Generalurko

Pals,

Hey. I wanted to start working on my Korben Dallas Pistol (from Fifth Element). The gun has a "999" led counter display on the side as well as a red LED in the front. It also has a switch towards the back. (see photo)

Now I have NO electronics knowledge. I've seen the little LED Numbers and LED Bulbs at Radio Shack, but I don't know how to make them work. A while ago (I mean, like a year, at least) someone had posted how to get the LED Numbers to say "999" (they would be static, and not count down), but I couldn't find it. I also need to have the front LED bulb attached to the numbers, so that when the switch is turned on, both the numbers and the bulb light up.

I know that there's issues with the battery needing to match the voltage of everything, but again I'm an electronics idiot (I even solder poorly).

Does anyone know of any tutorials? Or has anyone with a Korben gun (or pulse rifle) built what I'm describing?

Any ideas where to get the switch, or even the numbers and bulb (besides Radio Shack)?

Any advice or help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Chris
(Electronics Idiot Extraordinaire)

The numeric displays, that I've seen at least, are actually a bunch of small LEDs. If you know the part number of the display you're using, you can download the spec sheet, which will show you what pins go to what LEDs. From there, you can hook up the appropriate power and ground connections to the LEDs you want to light up to display the number of your choice.

Hope that helps get you moving. :)

Sean

Make sure you get a LED counter that can take a 9-volt or other small battery. (you might also want to get a small on/off switch and a connector for the battery.

To add to what Sean said:

You hook up the battery connector and switch to the appropriate pins on the counter. I don't know crap about electronics either besides "plus goes here and minus goes here" and maybe some basic car stuff, but when you look at the diagram/chart for the counter it will be self-explanatory. All you have to do then is match up the other pins in the correct "pattern" to get the number you want. Pin #5 connected to pin #8 (or whatever) might produce a "3" in the first slot.

Did that make any sense? :confused

When you solder, try not to get too close to the counter- you could burn it out if you'r really unlucky. Not that they cost much mind you, but it's still time down the drain.

I did a "73" on my Pulse rifle and it was really not that hard.

Good luck.

/Joe F
Sweden

One important thing to add: DO NOT HOOK THE BATTERY DIRECTLY TO THE COUNTER... With no resistor to limit the current, you will burn out the LEDs.

I would suggest getting a book on electronic basics or reading up on the web. With some basic theory, building LED drivers is not all that difficult. But, if you don't know what you're doing, you could really damage something, or someone, so BE CAREFUL.

Sean

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, I'm really lost as to what you guys are saying. I guess I'll have to just contact hyperdyne or someone to see if they can do it.

Thanks again. :)

Chris

Chris, let me know what you find. I have a kit as well that I'm going to build up.

Those are some nice referance pic's, got any more like that?

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back