how to rivet anything?

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey

This may be a stupid question, but I couldn't find an answer, how to rivets work, and how do you put rivets in?

Especially, i've heard you need a rivet gun and how the heck to you get that into a graflex tube? for a D ring or grips??

Pop rivets is what you're looking for. If you live near a Harbor Freight, they have a cheap gun that's good enough for very occasional use. It comes with a small selection of rivets for about $10.

Rivets look like a mushroom with a rod sticking out the top. The stem has a bulb on the bottom end, and as the rivet gun pulls the rod up, the bulb wedges into the rivet head shaft and causes it to expand, trapping the rivet. The gun then breaks off the shaft at the rivet.

For most things pop rivets are the way to go. I just took an intro to metal working class at the Oshkosh airshow. Awesome! And overwhelming. They mainly just covered riveting, and it was barely even the smallest tip of the iceberg! Now I want to learn more about traditional riveting and need to buy some more spendy tools. I don't know that I want to have to make my own rivets.... :eek but I think it would be a nice thing to know, anyway. Just to be able to say I did it and can do it, if need be. But for most things, I'm all about pop rivets.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back