How to repair pitting in steel. mod.1916 helmet needs repair for project bust

loose bolts

Hello every one.
Ok so an abandoned project had been passed around and i have taken up the challenge to refurbish it. so it is a German model 1916 helmet from WWI ( the one with the Frankenstein bolts on the side. NOT WW2....that stuff is not my thing) so it has been stripped of it original paint, sand blasted and has been crudely coasted in some type of filler that is orange appears to be auto body filler but i dont know which kind. this did not fill or help to cover the deep pits in the steel. this is still covering it but it has started to rust again.
i want to restore this correctly. i think starting form scratch rather than continuing some one else repair.

so for repairing pitting i have heard that i need to bead blast it clean, apply metal conditioner and some bondo and then sand.
i was curious what techniques or produces have given you the best results.
:confused
the project i was going to use this for was taking a Styrofoam head and making a zombie bust from the movie sucker punch. while that movie is not the highest on my list a zombie head with a gas mask and helmet would be cool on my shelf.
any tips or advice appreciated

SNIP
i think starting form scratch rather than continuing some one else repair.

so for repairing pitting i have heard that i need to bead blast it clean, apply metal conditioner and some bondo and then sand.
i was curious what techniques or produces have given you the best results.
SNIP

That's basically it, except if you bead blast the helmet, there should be no need for a metal conditioner.
Bead blasting is a perfect prep for filler and primer; known in the industry as profiling.
Bondo all the pitted areas, mixing small amounts so it doesn't get rubbery as you work it.
Sand the first layer down with 120 grit paper until the bondo filling is equal in height to the bare metal,
then spray with a coat of filler primer.
Dupli-Color :: Filler Primer
Sand with 240 grit, spray again, sand 320 grit then final prime of either filler primer or straight sandable primer
Dupli-Color :: Sandable Primer (I like gray or black)
final sand lightly with 400 grit and it's ready for paint, good as new.

Mike
My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back