How to paint dread rings/ attach dreads

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Termokk

Hey, i wanted to help out and put up a short huntorial on painting the raw rings, and attaching the dreads. If you have any questions please post them here, so we can all discuss the problem.

Attaching the dreads-
-First you will want to make sure you DO NOT paint inside the dread holes when you are painting the mask. Paints will peel off if they have to much pressure on them, and a good latex to foam or latex to latex surface is best for the glue.
-There are many glues that will work to attach the dreads, i have found that black rubberized cyannoaccrolate (black rubber super glue) works the best. It stays flexable, has a very strong hold, and its black so its not noticable if you have some visable. Barge cement (shoe goo) works very well too, and when using this product you should coat the end of the dread and the inside of the hole it goes into, and then let the glue dry completly. Then when you stick them toghether it instantly bonds. Regular superglue will work too, but being its not flexable, is much more prone to peeling off, but its cheep and easy to get so reattaching them is no problem...
DVC00132.jpg

- Now i am using the cyannoaccrolate, with an accelerator. (or zip kicker) I like to start at the bottom back area of the head. Squirt just a little bit of glue into each hole and make sure you smear it all around in there and get an even covering. Then mist the end of the dread with the accelerator and press it into the hole for about 5 seconds. Then it should be firmly attached. I put the longest dreads in the back of the head, and the longer dreads around the top, as they go down on the back of the head the dreads should get slightly shorter so they hang to about the same place.
DVC00108.jpg

-Once the whole head is done its time to start on your dread rings. Here is some raw ones getting ready to be painted.
DVC00109.jpg

-Next i hit them with a coating of a flat black primer. They will have to be allowed to dry and flipped to get both sides.
DVC00110.jpg

-Once the black is completly dry i take a makeup wedge and tear off little chunks untill it has no square surface to make strait lines.
DVC00112.jpg

-Then i dab gold paint onto the rings. The sponge has to stay pretty dry, dont want any realy wet spots of paint, or big globs.
DVC00113.jpg

-The paint can be any gold paint you would like, or whatever color for that matter. I use the antique gold, its readily available at any walmart or craft store.
DVC00115.jpg

-Now its just a simple matter of slidding the rings up the dreads. They will stay in place if you push them up so they squeeze the dreads a bit, or a drop of glue will hold them in place if you preffer.
DVC00135.jpg

And thats it! I hope that helped somone out there and dont hesitate to ask questions if you have them. Thanks -corey

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

newpred

i want to cast my own rings do you make yours the same diameter as the dreads or a bit snug? I want to go 1/8" less than a dread but i dont want to damage them trying to slide them on

Termokk

i want to cast my own rings do you make yours the same diameter as the dreads or a bit snug? I want to go 1/8" less than a dread but i dont want to damage them trying to slide them on
I sculped them onto the form of the dread, and designed them to slide up about a half of an inch past where they would "fit". So they are snug but probably not so far as 1/8 inch smaller. More like 1/16 or so.

MasterAnubis

Great stuff!

One thing I did to avoid painting the inside is put the dreads on a rolled up piece of paper. That also helped with spraying all the sides.