How To Mold Your Dread Beads

SMOKE

I had some extra materials so I thought I would work up a quick Bead Molding Huntorial. Maybe It will help some one out, and save your hands from a couple days of pain.

First I picked out some beads that weren't too thin in any areas. You don't want your Master Beads too thin because it will cause air bubbles in those areas when you cast them.

Next make a small box out of cardboard and glue your Master beads with about a half inch+ spacing around it.

Make sure the edges of the box are sealed up pretty much water tight. Depending on the rubber, it will leak. (I used tape). Alternatively, you could use a small piece of clay to hold the pieces in place so that the don't shift or float out of position.

IMG_20120216_000839-1.jpg

Next mix equal parts A/B of Smooth-On OOMOO 25 Silicone Rubber (Use Proper safety precautions when molding and casting)
IMG_20120216_000920-1.jpg

Next, Fill the box with the Mixed OOMOO 25.. I start slowly with the center of each bead then fill around them. Make sure you cover the top of the bead with atleast 1/2 of OOMOO. It gives the center plug a good base to hold on to when you demold your casts.
IMG_20120216_002101-1.jpg

After the Silicone Rubber has cured, remove the cardboard and pop out the master beads. No need for a cut seam, the beads will pop out with out it. Just give them a little pull and wiggle. ;)

Next mix equal parts A/B of Smooth cast 300 and slowly pour them into the open rings. start with the small ones and work your way up to the larger. As the smooth on starts to set it thickens and will leave voids in the smaller beads. It's best to pour those first.
IMG_20120216_143157-1.jpg

First pull from the new Bone Bead Mold. All that's left to do is some minor sanding on the ends I poured into.
IMG_20120216_151708-1.jpg

Hopefully this helps out some of you guys along the way. Sorry for the cell phone pics.

-QuakeVirus

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome huntorial,and will help us newbee's.But what is the dia of the inside beads(from small/big)beads.As i want to make some but have no dreads yet.

Great little huntorial. (y)

What I'd add is:
Make sure the edges of the box are sealed up pretty much water tight. Depending on the rubber, it will leak. (you used tape).

the other sugestion is to glue down or even use a small piece of clay to hold the pieces in place so that the don't shift or float out of position.

Nice, thanks for sharing this. Its actually really helpful and the pictures give a great insight! Thanks again bud

No prob bro! When I was searching for how make the molds, I was having hell trying to track down some visual references and hell even any kind of detailed tutorial. I'm glad this could help. (y)

Awesome huntorial,and will help us newbee's.But what is the dia of the inside beads(from small/big)beads.As i want to make some but have no dreads yet.

Thanks bud! Glad I can help. The measurements are: 1/2 in ID(Inner Diameter), 3/4in ID, 7/8in ID.

Great little huntorial. (y)

What I'd add is:
Make sure the edges of the box are sealed up pretty much water tight. Depending on the rubber, it will leak. (you used tape).

the other sugestion is to glue down or even use a small piece of clay to hold the pieces in place so that the don't shift or float out of position.

Thanks man! I updated the first post with your suggestions. Totally spaced on adding that info. Thanks for catching it! (y)

I have found it easier to do a single round mold for each ring, like in a solo cup. Cut the bottom out, flip it over, trim to the desired height. That way you can roll the mold in your hand to help the new casting release. Also you dont waste as much mold material in such a large block mold.

PVC pipe works well too and comes in various sizes. I'm actually using PVC right now on some Xeno beads. Thanks for the info bro! (y)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back