how to make dread rings

Cavaler Urban

first of all you will need all materials and tools in the pictures;
a piece of copper foil, copper wire( from electric cable) and different tools
to work the material.

carrefully measure a strip of copper equal with the outer surface of a dread ,the width is variable
depending on ring diameter that you want to do!

now , mark the edges and let enough room to roll over the wire
betwen the two marks draw your wanted design( almost everything is possible)
in simple lines!

beggin to press the lines of your draw carrefully with a pencil ( like in the photo), following all the lines

now burn the foil to soften the material!

when is cold enough turn on the other side and beggin to press innard the draw to bump it out (emboss)!

from now you will work on each side of material to enboss as much as you can the surface of the draw!
you can burn the material everytime is necessary!
after you are happy with the results measure two piece of wire and cut it like in the photo!

roll the foil over the wire as in pic.
you choose on witch side put the wire.

now you are ready to roll entire stuff on a round object !
in this case I used a AA battery!

now you can make the last touch-ups untill you achieve the best results and you are happy with it!
with inventiveness you can make it to look older!

this is it!now ,let your imagination to do the job and your fingers to get the blisters!)
I hope this is usefull and I made myself understood, you know my french is not so good!:lol:)
good luck!
I'll answear any question about this!:lol:

DSC09704.JPG

DSC09705.JPG

DSC09707.JPG

DSC09708.JPG

DSC09709.JPG

DSC09710.JPG

DSC09712.JPG

DSC09713.JPG

DSC09694.JPG

DSC09691.jpg

DSC09690.jpg

DSC0970.jpg

DSC097.jpg

DSC0971.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
first of all you will need all materials and tools in the pictures;
a piece of copper foil, copper wire( from electric cable) and different tools
to work the material.]
carrefully measure a strip of copper equal with the outer surface of a dread ,the width is variable
depending on ring diameter that you want to do!
now , mark the edges and let enough room to roll over the wire!
betwen the two marks draw your wanted design( almost everything is possible)
in simple lines!
beggin to press the lines of your draw carrefully with a pencil ( like in the photo), following all the lines
now burn the foil to soften the material!
when is cold enough turn on the other side and beggin to press innard the draw to bump it out (emboss)!

from now you will work on each side of material to enboss as much as you can the surface of the draw!
you can burn the material everytime is necessary!
after you are happy with the results measure two piece of wire and cut it like in the photo!

roll the foil over the wire as in pic.
you choose on each side put the wire.

now you are ready to roll entire stuff on a round object !
in this case I used a AA battery!

now you can make the last touch-ups untill you achieve the best results and you are happy with it!
with inventiveness you can make it to look older!

this is it!now ,let your imagination to do the job and your fingers to get the blisters!)
I hope this is usefull and I made myself understood, you know my french is not so good!:lol:)
good luck!
because of the lack of space some pic din't appear! sorry for that, I hope you can manage!
I'll answear any question about this!:lol:

where do you get the foil and what mil thickness?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats one of the best, informative, unique, creative tutorials ive seen in a very very long time. and the end result is peeeeeeeeeeeerfect.

i hope you are double jointed so you can pat yourself on the back. :)

honestly this is what the lair was made for.

thank you guys for your apreciations!:) I'm glad to be usefull here!

I tried to make it from cans!:) doesn't work , alu is not good as is copper!pity ,is a lot of cans out there, copper is not!:)

impaiatu,

This is really good, another way to make them :)

It got me thinking, maybe copper tape could be used, and cut two layers..... then make as you described and then solder the seam so it won't pop open....?

---
Ei'luj

What a great tutorial. I will probably do something like this myself now, it would never have occurred to me before though! These look super time consuming, but super cool too.

[quote name='ei'luj' post='125902' date='Jan 22 2009, 05:06 AM']impaiatu,

It got me thinking, maybe copper tape could be used, and cut two layers..... then make as you described and then solder the seam so it won't pop open....?

---
Ei'luj[/quote]

yes, copper tape is good ,two ,three layers! they won,t pop open because of the copper wire! In the pictures I post is there an solder gun ( it's right?) and solder! is not necessary to sold it but if you want...!if it are not solded it fit anyplace on the dread because ...you know ( this english is killing me softly) :))
I'd would like too see some results here! :)

[quote name='ei'luj' post='125902' date='Jan 22 2009, 05:06 AM']impaiatu,

---
Ei'luj[/quote]

Ei'luj,

you mean the tape which is used for Tiffany lamps?

Maybe you will get a problem then when you burn the copper, because the glue on the one side of the tape will vaporise or will start to burn!

Correct?
:)

Ei'luj,

Maybe you will get a problem then when you burn the copper, because the glue on the one side of the tape will vaporise or will start to burn!

Correct?
I think is not refered at the tape for tiffany lamps, that are too narrow ,I think is meant other kind of tape! the piece I used in this tutorial it was 35 mm width! I made rings with 8mm finally width but the tape are you talking is not yet enough!search for alternatives! good luck! :)
by the way ,I was in baden wurttemberg a few weeks ago! nice, very nice! :)

in romania ,at list , this copper foil is used to cover church's roofs to make it look old but is also is used in making art objects through process called "metaloplastie" witch we try make here! :)

Ei'luj,

Correct?

The copper tape is thin, and bends easily, so it wouldn't need to be heated up. Then I can do layers and make the patterns with leather working tools... I do have some of those :)

I have a big ol' roll of that copper tape, and all I have ever used it for is covering a hilt of a fake knife.... now I will try those dread beads.... need copper/gold color for my new costume :)

Many thanks for this tutorial!

---
Ei'luj

in romania ,at list , this copper foil is used to cover church's roofs to make it look old but is also is used in making art objects through process called "metaloplastie" witch we try make here! :)

Yes, we have similar copper foil here for cover roofs. I'll use a foil with 50mm x 30mm x 0,5mm!
I think it will be ok.

Love this tutorial!
And those last rings is great! The details are stunning, awesome work.
Hah, and that little finger-armor looks so cute. Looks almost like you made some shoulderarmor for a doll, haha! ;)

Kotten

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back