How to make Bad A$$ wristblades

Pestvic

So hey everyone! Im New to the board i wanted to post this THEN put this link and myself in the "Introduce yourself" Thread. Anyway Enjoy

Here is the Video I talk about in the Huntorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZC6rQnVuJA

So first, I bought a Acrylic Plastic Transparent Sheet from home depot. It was about close to 1/8" thick. (ill edit this and post how big the sheet was when i remember it or get the label).

Anyway it was enough to make about 6-8 blades for about $15 bucks for the sheet.

I then Carved the Blades out with this template I found on the board. (Thanks a bunch to the creator)
blades.jpg

blades2.jpg

(I mixed the two templates and used it to design my own bevels and cuts)

I used a Plastic Cutting Blade with a jig saw and rough cut a blade out.
DSC00284.jpg

I then used a file (shown in video in another thread im making about painting the blades, another huntorial) to carve the bevels and shape the thickness of the blade to my custom liking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZC6rQnVuJA

DSC00285.jpg

DSC00286.jpg

I then took acrylic paints (again shown in the video) I bought at walmart for about $1.90 each I bought black (called Licorice) and metallic silver. to paint the blade to my weathered looking liking.
I used Brushes (shown in video) that i got for about $2.90 also at walmart. (Pack of 4).

DSC00287.jpg

DSC00288.jpg

(I will update the project as I go along and finish the blades. This huntorial will (hopefully) go all the way up to making the functional gauntlet)
Here was my inspiration for the tutorial.
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=15510

Cost of whole project to make 3-4 PAIRS of blades.

Acrylic Plastic Sheet - $15.00
Paints - $1.90 x2 = $3.80
Brushes - $2.90

Total = $21.70
(be sure to add tax to this. bring enough to buy everything. so $25.00 Is about the True full cost for the blades)

The shaping and cutting is pretty close to the process I used for my own blades. In fact, I used the same template. I used thicker acrylic plastic, though -- it was about 1/4 inch thick. If I remember correctly, the acrylic plastic at Home Depot, under the Plaskolite brand, is 0.93 inch thick.

The shaping and cutting is pretty close to the process I used for my own blades. In fact, I used the same template. I used thicker acrylic plastic, though -- it was about 1/4 inch thick. If I remember correctly, the acrylic plastic at Home Depot, under the Plaskolite brand, is 0.93 inch thick.

yeah mines pretty close to 1/4 actually. its just 2/16" shy of 1/4" but i love this process its just so fun haha

ironically that is really cool idea though i would have had more of the the clear acrlylic (sp) showing i think you have to much of the blade painted

One question though, how durable are they?

so far, very. i file in between my legs with a mask and safety goggles and it bends a lot sometimes when im putting weight on it to hold it in place while i file some bevels and it doesnt chip crack or anything very strong and straight they dont move or "wobble" when you shake it left and right, they stay straight. and they take bending pretty far. i like them a lot!

ironically that is really cool idea though i would have had more of the the clear acrlylic (sp) showing i think you have to much of the blade painted

yeah haha ill make a set for LED awesomeness. this set im painting completely.

New pics will be up soon blade 1 is done

New pics soon! finished the first blade, looks AWESOME i added a layer of semi gloss poly on it also to preserve the paintjob

New pics of blade 1 done. i might Start Casting this, making a mold and just pouring resin casts of them. anyone recommend the best type of resin thats strong and wont break easily? If anyone is interested, i can cast and make these for sale. (when im allowed to sell in another month and a half due to forum rules haha)

I could sell them pretty cheap + shipping cost of course.

IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_5949.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

I wanted to add. i could of done much better on the carving. but by hand its such a pain. i just wanted something that looked pretty good and thats it haha. ill make better ones someday. maybe.. lol

anyway about the casts. if anyone does buy some. the casts are free to shape and polish up the bevels and edges to your liking anyway. for me a beat up, scratched up, old looking blade was what i wanted.

I really like your progress and thanks for the 'props'. Great vid. I can't imagine doing all that beveling with little files. All my masters are mostly hand carved and beveled.

anyone recommend the best type of resin thats strong and wont break easily?
I've used a few different two-part plastics for my blades. What works best for you, you will need to determine.
Polytek:
Easy Flo 60

Smooth-On:
Smooth Cast 321
Smooth Cast ONYX
Task 8

Being that thin you may find is that your blades may end up either too soft or too brittle. Either way the thinest points will be where they break. I've only broken my blades when testing the flex, so none really on accedent.

My blades are 1/4" at the thickest and I favor the slower setting of the Smooth Cast 321. It took quite a bit of experimenting to get them exactly the way I like though.
I'm going to make more out of Task 8 when I get the opportunity because of the higher heat deflection properties and it doesn't feel as brittle as Smooth-On implied. I'm not impressed with the ONYX. I like Easy Flo 60 but I'm probably going to only use it to make my regular beads. The blades I made with it still came out good, just a higher failure rate.

Make sure you have proper vents for the air to get out. The wild nature of the design makes it really easy for air to get trapped and being thin doesn't help. Baby powdering the mold helps out considerably with the small bubbles.

Forgot to show the progress haha. i got side tracked and started working on the bio. (putting lasers and flashing eyes, painting all that.)

anyway here it is.

photo3.jpg

got the second blade done and them screwed together aligned.

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

so basically i got the blades done and off to the start of the mechanism used in this video, (ive been getting help by him)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW5HLrlWyDA...=1&index=29
(all info for his blades are in the video description)

Thanks everyone for watching this thread!! you guys rule

those things look deadly...which in our little world is a damn good thing.

nice job

Thanks a lot man ;) i just recently cut my sheet of acrylic to make the housing/mechanism for my blades. im not really sure what to epoxy the acylic plastic together with. but it fits perfect. nice and snug. Right now my priority is finding a wolf mask and im not having any luck :p so the blades are on hold. but its looking awesome :p

anyway

im debating going with the foam mask method for now until i buy a real mask from someone

guys, I read in the first post about using a 'plastic cutting blade'.

Lowes has no idea what I mean for some reason.

Anyway, I buy a jigsaw. I buy the multi blades (metal blade is the finest with teeth) and the damn acrylic is busting up EVERYTIME!

I can't turn without it giving way. I'm about to give up here.

What am I doing wrong that y'all were able to do so easily? (to a certain extent)

guys, I read in the first post about using a 'plastic cutting blade'.

Lowes has no idea what I mean for some reason.

Anyway, I buy a jigsaw. I buy the multi blades (metal blade is the finest with teeth) and the damn acrylic is busting up EVERYTIME!

I can't turn without it giving way. I'm about to give up here.

What am I doing wrong that y'all were able to do so easily? (to a certain extent)

Pshh.. the people at lowes and home depot NEVER know what they are talking about. maybe once in a blue moon do you get a OLD guy that does know haha

hmmm what acrylic did you buy? let me take pics of mine and the blades i used. I'm sorry i should of posted a pic of what acrylic i used. Are you use you didnt get plexy glass? that stuff is brittle. the acrylic plastic i got is flexible but strong and can be cut with a jig saw really sharp turns and all with no problem. hm....

Post a picture of the lable of acrylic plastic you got please. i will get pictures of mine tonight.

Stay in touch ill post them tonight if i remember i have a lot of college homework.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back