How to make-a-Wolf-whip

lethalshot

First post for me on how-to-build something. Hopefully I make sense and have chosen a easy topic for my first. My goal was to make a whip that looked like Wolfs, that I could hang off my costume belt, and was fairly sturdy. I only barbed one side of the whip, you could easily add barbs to the other side if you wanted to make one that looked good from any angle when you unwind it.

Materials Used:

-10 foot bullwhip $20.00 (you could use rope for the whip if you will be covering it with barbs)
-4 sheets of foamies $4.00 (this will make your barbs)
-PVC pipe $2.50, 10 inches, 1 1/2 diameter (fit over my whips wooden handle perfectly)
-plastic dip paint $4.20 (spray or dip would work, I just used spray)
-various plastic or foam pieces for making handle details

Tools Used:

-Scissors
-Glue gun
-Marker
-my wifes scrap book scissors (cuts jagged edge for barbs)

The first step I did was to decide how to cut the foamie sheet into sections so I could make them look like a three dimensional barb. In picture 1, You can see the basic design I used. I only needed to make 4 sizes to fit almost 8 foot of the whips tail. I found my wifes scrap booking scissors to cut the barbs jagged edges. After cutting out the sizes I needed, I then applied a very small amount of super-glue to the inside to hold the barb together and get a ridge to finish off the shape. Picture 3 shows a barb glued to a paper.
Then on to the fun part, I used a glue gun to attach the barbs to the whip, I only attached the barbs to the one side seeing how it will be hung from my costumes belt, or on my display wall, picture 4 you can see some progress.
Once you have all the barbs glued into place, and have made your tip, paint or dip your project at this point. I was impressed at the strength of how the foamies held to the leather whip, I was able to fling it around a bit and didn't loose one barb.
As far as the handle is concerned, I wanted to get a slight look of Wolfs, but did not want to duplicate his. One thing I really enjoy about building this stuff, is adding my own touch (Which is good, because my skills don't allow me to duplicate anything.hehe). In picture 5 you can see where I drew on the details into the handle with a marker, then I used a hot glue gun to glue on the ridges. Looked kinda cool, and should help the grip when a person is in costume and carrying the whip through Predators hands. Then paint the handle. A coat of clear coat on the entire whip will help give it that shinny black alien tail type look.
Hopefully after reading this, none of you will be in a coma, and you can now "whip-up" a easy project to add another weapon to your arsenal.

111111.jpg

222222.JPG

3333333.JPG

4444444.JPG

5555555.JPG

6666666.JPG

7777777.JPG

8888888.JPG

99999999.JPG

Outstanding!!! This is a really great tut on a very simple & clever method to make a truly awesome looking prop, thanks! :lol:

Dammit...now you've got me wanting to start making a whip today! :) Too bad I've already got waaay too many different projects going on as it is.

Now that I see your tutt I'm even more impressed! theilussion you create on that whip :)
all this time I thought it was the same all around the whip I didn't know if just the front part you created,way to go bro

L.B.

Great Tutorial! I agree with MacGuyver! Now I want to make one,
too many other projects! I'll get around to it though, without a doubt!
Great eye for detail!

You're god. *worships* You have NO IDEA how HARD that is to do in LEATHER! For me at least. I will be using this tutorial for an much easier-to-construct whip. Just for general crafty/costumy goodiness. THANK YOU!

When I ***eventually***get something down in leather, I'll def show pics.

Can the whip stretch out like a normal whip, or is it only for carrying on the hip? Meaning, can you unravel it without all the foamies pieces popping off?

Can the whip stretch out like a normal whip, or is it only for carrying on the hip? Meaning, can you unravel it without all the foamies pieces popping off?

It would be easy to get it to fold out and whip around. I just did mine for a belt accessory so I tied it together, if a person wanted one that came out, I would recommend adding barbs on both sides so it looks equal, would take a little more time, but wouldn't be hard. Before tying mine together, I flung it around a bit, and I didn't loose any foamies or my own eyes..

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back