How to make a duplicate of a mother mold

krisdoce

Hi there;

This thread is referring to an ultracal 30 mold I created. The mold is of a sculpture my partner created that we are making latex masks with. I would like to re-produce it to increase production but don't want to go though the painstaking task of re-sculpting it. Instead I would like to duplicate it faster using some trick or modern method I have not thought about yet.
I heard somewhere that I could use silicone to do the copy but don't really know how that would work. I think i would risk breaking my original mother mold.
Does anyone here have any experience duplicating a mother mold?

Methods I'm familiar with but would like to avoid:

1st method:
Dry thin layer of latex
Smash water based clay into the details
remove
re-detail
cast.

2nd method:
Dry thin layer of latex
melt oil based clay,
let cool an somewhat harden
carefully remove
re-detail
cast.

I'm open to any experimental ideas or really any help would be great!
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Do the latex let dry and the pour in flexible expanding foam let cure and then remove from first mold and start making your new molds off the casting.

What about making a casting out of alginate and then make a mold of the alginate?

I seem to recall Steve Neill having to copy a mold of the Whitley Streiber alien bust by packing it with clay a few months ago.
Edit: Found the episodes.
Edit 2: I just noticed he is basically doing one of the methods you are trying to avoid. Oops.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm assuming that the problem is that your original mold has undercuts that would distort any rigid or semi-rigid castings that are removed from it in order to remold them.

I think you already mentioned the solution, and that is to pour up a silicone casting into your ultracal mold, and then make a new mold over the silicone. Silicone and ultracal play nice with one another. The silicone would be able to flex and come out of your mold without damaging any details.

Yes! Thanks guys.
I'm so exited.
I just needed a little backing.
Soon enough I'll have time to post the whole project.
thanks.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back