How to learn to sculpt

headdragon1

I have watched alot of you guys put up pics upon pics of sculptures. I would really like to learn how to do some of it. I figured a good lpace to start would be witha dread ring or something simple or at least seemed simple. I failed miserably. I am not sure where to start but what advice other than just give it a try would you guys suggest. I have attempted many times with the same result so evidentally I am doing some thing wrong so where can I find info on what I am doing wrong or what I could do to be correct.

THanks, Eric

Its all about learning art stuff. Human anatomy is the most challenging thing and it'll help you + Observation. Pick up some sculpting videos/DVD. Gnomon Workshop, John Brown, Mark ALfrey, Jordu Schell. If u know how to draw, sculpting is 2D knowledge applied into 3D. If you have clay already look at something in real life, like some one's face and try to sculpt it. use any tools u can make or find. Most people use their fingers and a toothpick. You'll be amazed what creativity can do. Jordu Schell said in FX MAgazine "its not the tools, its knowing where to put the clay and the forms."

Good luck.

Well, from my experience (2d suff) one of the best ways to learn something is to watch pros do it and analyze EVERYTHING. The hands, the evolution of the piece, everything.

Me it was, and still is, TRIAL AND ERROR, then something will click and ill be happy hehe , personally i get more fum from trying than watching.

But i do now have a couple of videos :D

Watching videos is all well and good and I hove got a number in my collection, but mailny for reference now. But it is no replacement for getting your hands dirty and giving it a go...my methodology is to sketch out what i want to sculpt then once I've doe various sketches at differing angles i then go on to the sculpt proper...if you're doing something like the pred, grab a load of reference pics from all manner of anlges as this gives you the ability to view your scultp and judge just how well it matches up to the referecene material as you go along.

The best advice I can give you is... "He who perserveres... eventually conquers." Never give up and eventually you will succeed.

Kindest Regards,

Alan

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back