How to learn Metal Smithing

ZadeWilson

Hey all! One of the projects on my list is the Shield of Achilles, and it's one I'd actually like to make from actual metal.
For those who have done metal work, where/how did you learn and what would you recommend for someone who'd like to get into it?

I have only academic knowledge of the smithing, I do some finishes, but step 1 to get a useful answer is to narrow down your question. What materials and techniques do you want to use , because "metalsmithing" is a giant humongous field.

I would highly recommend having a look on Google to see if there is an experience day or course. Here in the UK there are a few places that offer such a thing, something I also would love to learn! The one I have my eye on is a Sword making day.

Look into Ron Covell, he has a series of how to's on You Tube. It is sheet metal related to forming auto and motorcycle fenders and such. It would translate into making your shield.

What does it look like?

Domed? Usually spun metal nowadays, thought you can hammer it out.

Even if minimal doming, you should hammer it out, then smooth (planish) after. English wheels are fun, but thin metal, best used after you hammers out a basic design

Fine details, you can hammer into it, or make out of metal and lay on top.

The thicker the metal the harder to hammer.

There are lots of quest within your first quest. Lots of different skill sets as well.

Oh, and joint trauma, don't forget the joint trauma vs cost of tools ratio.

Parker Brown has great Youtube instructional videos

I started blacksmithing two years ago but got more serious in the past year. I comb through YouTube which has helped tremendously. But connecting with a local club was absolutely clutch. For the record, blacksmiths are lumped in with metal workers in my area. Some makers just do stock removal knives, some make art and a few make medieval armor for a fighting league.

Depending on what the shield looks like, and how much work you want to put into it, you have a couple of ways you could go.
There are 2 basic techniques for forming metal; Raising and dishing.
These 2 basic techniques have variations of type of tools and type of surface you work on.
Raising is compressing metal, while dishing is stretching metal. This can be done with the metal at room temp, or hot. Hot has many advantages.
Dishing seems to be where most people start because it seems more intuitive, and the tools can be a stump, and a basic hammer.
But raising, which requires (generally) a hard metal surface (anvil or metal shaped "stake"), is perhaps more universal and can provide more control over material thickness and shape.
As mentioned above, metal spinning (see youtube videos, it's pretty amazing what can be done.) is a form of "squish raising", but require complex tools. Squish raising is where your metal is hammered or pinched between to harder surfaces and is squished out from between in a desired manner. Imagine taking a flat sheet of modeling clay and poking it with your finger, while the clay sheet is on a desk top. Each dent you make with your finger, displaces the clay. If you do these "dents" in a spiral motion starting at the middle, while slightly lifting the edge of you clay sheet, you will eventually make a cup shape.
Using an "English Wheel" is another form of squish raising, where the metal is pinched between to hardened steel wheels while being rolled back and forth or in and out from between the wheels. The is a good way to make gentle curves and large plates. Used mainly in the automotive or aircraft industries for body panel manufacture.

You can buy metal shape that have been spun, either in aluminum or steel, sometimes brass and start with this and do additional hammer work.
Here are some examples of items made in metal, using raising techniques.
First is 16th century helmet made from spring steel, "still rough from the hammer", meaning it still need grinding and polishing. (Made by Jeff Wasson)
Second is a fantasy 16th style 1/2 armour, in steel, but repoussed with small tools and chisels. (Made by Ugo Serrano)
Lastly is an aluminum Iron Man helmet, rough from the hammer. (Made by Greg Wosnak)

Build (1).jpg
IMG_5212.JPG
aluminum Ironman helmet2.png

There are some good youtube videos if you search "metal raising", showing techniques using steel, aluminum, copper and silver.
If you search "metal forming dishing" you will find some good videos on dishing, while others are not the best. If the metal piece is dished and the resulting piece is relatively smooth, then it's probably a good tutorial. It the resulting part is all lumpy and out of shape, look for another video...

Good luck

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back