How to Find Images of Costumes Not Shown on Screen (esp in; Star Wars, Star Trek, etc)?

Prop Store

SciFiCostumes

Hello! I am not a cosplayer or any form of costume maker, just a hobbyist who runs a blog highlight costume design in science-fiction, fantasy and post-apocalyptic film and television, SciFi & Fantasy Costumes Gallery: SciFi & Fantasy Costumes Gallery as well as another blog highlight notable costume design in non-scifi cult genre movies: Cult Movie Fashions (haven't updated that one in a bit....).

I partly set it up because I was really annoyed at the state of most discussion online centred on costume design, with most of it being snarking at 'bad' or 'cheesy' costumes, as well as hopefully highlight designs from obscure or lower budget films just as much as beloved classics and cult favorites - I also hope that it would prove some use to cosplayers as well, as there often isnt good reference online for that stuff!

What I'm asking though is...see, the trouble with a fair few bigger budget scifi films that utilize a lot of costumes, such as the Star Wars films (especially the prequels and Disney reboot, though the originals were slightly guilty of this too), or the Star Trek movies, just having a ton of often very inventive costume designs...shoved to the back. I try my best to find every image possible of ones that weren't shown properly on screen if there wasnt enough screentime, but it's hard! I have to ask, where does one go about finding out if there is any images of them left? Do costume designers every keep behind the scenes photos of them, and if so, how can they be contacted for the most part? (I know of IMDBpro but..that is pricey, and this is ultimately a hobby for fun).

I actually wonder if it would be posting individual threads on here about costumes that got barely any screentime in their respective appearances, but I dont know if this would be the best place for that? Still, any answers would be appreciated as is!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

I have found that there are many, many auction sites out there that sell or have sold costumes from sci-fi movies. These auction sites are a good source for detailed photos. I would also suggest researching any exhibitions where costumes were displayed as you can sometimes find high quality photos taken by people who visited the exhibitions on sites like Flickr.
Some costume designers have instagram and twitter accounts or professional websites - try searching for [costume designer name] portfolio, but you're less likely to find something for older costumer designers.
Some of my favorite sites include Hollywood Movie Costumes and Props, and The Costumer's Guide. Photos from FIDM's Art of Motion Picture Costume Design Exhibit can also be helpful.
Searching for the name of the movie or show episode plus "behind the scenes" might be helpful. There are also collector's books and magazine articles which can have high quality photos. If you find one that seems interesting, I suggest you search the name of the book plus "scans" as sometimes fans will post scans of the photos.

SciFiCostumes

I have found that there are many, many auction sites out there that sell or have sold costumes from sci-fi movies. These auction sites are a good source for detailed photos. I would also suggest researching any exhibitions where costumes were displayed as you can sometimes find high quality photos taken by people who visited the exhibitions on sites like Flickr.
Some costume designers have instagram and twitter accounts or professional websites - try searching for [costume designer name] portfolio, but you're less likely to find something for older costumer designers.
Some of my favorite sites include Hollywood Movie Costumes and Props, and The Costumer's Guide. Photos from FIDM's Art of Motion Picture Costume Design Exhibit can also be helpful.
Searching for the name of the movie or show episode plus "behind the scenes" might be helpful. There are also collector's books and magazine articles which can have high quality photos. If you find one that seems interesting, I suggest you search the name of the book plus "scans" as sometimes fans will post scans of the photos.

Thanks for the reply ! Yep, have had to use costume designers websites a lot in the past, but sadly a lot of costume designers from previous decades don't really have online presence, and that's going for the ones who havent sadly passed away - Hollywood Movie Costumes & Props is a great resource but doesn't really have the sort of stuff I'm looking for as this is mostly about the scifi of previous decades and they post photos from up and coming films.

I wonder if it would possibly be annoying to post threads asking on here in the chance that there may be behind the scenes pictures of barely screen-seen costumes?

I wonder if it would possibly be annoying to post threads asking on here in the chance that there may be behind the scenes pictures of barely screen-seen costumes?
I think it would be to your benefit. From what I've seen there are a lot of fans of more niche films and tv shows on here but they get overshadowed by more popular things like Marvel and Star Wars.

Prop Store