How to Display Captain America Shield?

yt

Sr Member
I followed Valor's excellent tutorial and built a decent Captain America FA shield. My plan is to hang it on the wall of my pool room. Now I just need to think of a way. It needs to be supported from the edges, not from the back as there is no practical mounting point and I don't trust tape long term. I was thinking about something simple with grooved wood screwed to the wall that it could slip into and sit flush with the wall. Any other ideas? I want to keep it low budget, like the shield.

I have been giving some thought to a shield display since I know I will eventually get a movie Cap sheild replica.
One idea I had that I have been running with is to creat a bracket that mounts to the wall that looks similar to those hinged plate easels you can find at the art store:
Plate Easels - Hinged - Economical
The design would have a similar function with the brackets on the bottom holding the bottom of the shield, with the top of the shield resting at an angle against the wall mount, which could be a large piece of wood fully finished.

Why not just make or buy brackets for the back of the shield and attach them with jb weld? Your drywall screws will fail waaaay before that stuff does.

Any kind of glue that requires you to mix two parts is some pretty serious stuff. The 2-part JB Weld is extremely strong, as long as your surface area is clean.

I actually just youtube'd how to use jb weld properly because I'm in the same boat as yt. Are making "cuts" in the metal really necessary for the back of the shield and handle to bond better?

Why not just make or buy brackets for the back of the shield and attach them with jb weld? Your drywall screws will fail waaaay before that stuff does.

Not a bad idea but not the way I want to go. I'm looking for something more creative and I would never trust the JB long term. Any other ideas?

How about modifying a set of mirror clips (or even just some large screws). You could sculpt four Captain America helmet wings and attach them to the clips. Rest the shield on the clips and twist the wing tips up to lock the shield into place, and you can twist them down if you want to handle the shield.

Not a bad idea but not the way I want to go. I'm looking for something more creative and I would never trust the JB long term. Any other ideas?
well, does it have straps on the back? then take a pipe that goes through both handles, drill a hole on each side, screw a chain to the pipe, and mount it on the wall

or even pull the chain through the pipe whatever. just use a heavy duty dry wall screw, those are pretty good
you know, those that open up behind the dry wall when you screw something in.
i used 2 of those for my projector shelf, and im pretty sure that it is way heavier than the shield, combined with the projector

I actually just youtube'd how to use jb weld properly because I'm in the same boat as yt. Are making "cuts" in the metal really necessary for the back of the shield and handle to bond better?

Scuffing the metal with really rough sandpaper (60 grit or so) is plenty. Think of it as priming a piece before you paint it - the grittier the surface is, the better the paint (or in this case, epoxy) will hold.

To put the strength of this stuff in perspective, several of us have used it to mount handles to our shields because welding aluminum is crazy-difficult and expensive vs welding steel and I haven't heard of anyone's failing. Personally I've run around with mine multiple times, have been pretty rough with it (it got banged and pulled to hell in a crowded nightclub), etc and it's still holding up fine.

How about modifying a set of mirror clips (or even just some large screws). You could sculpt four Captain America helmet wings and attach them to the clips. Rest the shield on the clips and twist the wing tips up to lock the shield into place, and you can twist them down if you want to handle the shield.

That's a great idea, I looked at all types of fasteners, but didn't even think about mirror clips.

i have seen people use a guitar stand but since we both want it on our wall and both of our brackets where held with mounting tape i don't want to rely on that either

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back