How To Destroy Your Prized Props

Captain Dunsel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, this is not a good sign for the new year…

Did I come across an original, screen-used Star Trek Phaser One that was taken home by a Paramount employee, and abused by their children?

8CA81973-917F-4340-9CB8-67DB8A808259.png
E9A0F806-5B98-43E2-9A8B-543A19DF1A66.jpeg

Nope…this is what happens when you are transporting props in a neglectful way.

In this case, I was rotating some props and books from my office into storage. The hero phaser was sitting on a stack of books that I was carrying down into the basement, with all the care of a caveman with a pile of sticks…in a state of mental impairment, I misjudged a step, stumbled slightly, and watched the phaser slide off of the books that I was holding and crash onto the remaining steps and then onto the basement floor, essentially cracking and shattering. The dislodged internals make a nice rattle and the shattered fiberglass body is a wonder to behold (The acrylic half round and front emitter plate are only temporarily in-place for the pictures.).

Well, this restoration will be my first project for 2023. The original build was designed to look slightly screen-used but not THIS screen-used.

Look upon my disgrace and let my stupidity be a life lesson for everyone. Handle your props with the care that they deserve.

Shooting Star GIF

Last edited:
You're going to have to sell it on ebay as an original screen-used prop that was rescued from the garbage out the back of the studio ;)

Absolutely. Two in two years' time, that wouldn't be suspicious at all.

Anyway, that's a real drag. My own hero phaser needed some reconditioning, awhile back. The internals dislodged from the inside of the upper shell after I rolled the thumbwheel too hard in an attempt to make the moving parts' action a bit smoother.

This accident did end up allowing me to improve the action of the parts, though.

You're going to have to sell it on ebay as an original screen-used prop that was rescued from the garbage out the back of the studio ;)

Well, it’s suffered enough damage for it to pass for a convincing piece that would have ended up in the garbage, for certain :(

Well, it’s suffered enough damage for it to pass for a convincing piece that would have ended up in the garbage, for certain :(

Back when I was first building mine, I accidentally dropped the upper shell on the floor and broke it in half. Managed to repair it before proceeding. I've also repainted the finished prop once or twice.

Your broken baby doesn't look too bad. Sandable materials like JB Weld and Apoxie Sculpt can do wonders in regards to replacing missing chunks of fiberglass and reinforcing weak joints.

While this topic isn’t funny at all ( I hope you can repair it and I’m sure you will ) …. I had to laugh because your doc brown avatar’s face is pointing towards the aforementioned paragraph of travesty and is quite appropriate ( and I’m sure is the face you made )lol.

But in all seriousness.. sorry this happened.

I know it is always painful when things like this break and I feel for you. There is the option to try to make it pristine looking again, or there is the option to work with the damage and make it part of the piece, as if its seen some action, but the owner couldn't get him or herself to exchange it for a new one.

Some like pristine props. Sure. But this damage adds extra character to the piece, in my opinion. Repair it, but don't remove all the damage, or repair it as if it was broken and repaired in-universe. If that makes sense? Though... it's Star Trek... so they'll probably just re-issue a new one.

Hmm.

Anyway... good luck.

Back when I was first building mine, I accidentally dropped the upper shell on the floor and broke it in half. Managed to repair it before proceeding. I've also repainted the finished prop once or twice.

Your broken baby doesn't look too bad. Sandable materials like JB Weld and Apoxie Sculpt can do wonders in regards to replacing missing chunks of fiberglass and reinforcing weak joints.

Yeah, the damage is definitely repairable. The internals basically just need to be reset / reglued and the cracked fiberglass can be repaired and repainted.

I’ll post some update pics, at some point, when the Phaser is restored.

Apology on the tasteless Heritage Auction reference. The damage to your phaser really is a gut-punch, but the most important thing is that you didn't get injured! Glad you’re okay (y)

I also dropped a Cricket I have and it chipped. Had to get it redone by a prop buider that has done numerous props for me !

Not to diminish the loss, but when you have built enough of these, it is called "just another day in the shop".

On the bright side, it gives you an excuse to rebuild the prop and possibly add features.

I still feel bad for a fellow member years ago who had his Sideshow 1/1 Salacious B. Crumb knocked off it's display by his young son and it shattered. Ouch!!!

Yeah, the damage is definitely repairable. The internals basically just need to be reset / reglued and the cracked fiberglass can be repaired and repainted.

I’ll post some update pics, at some point, when the Phaser is restored.

In my case, the tricky part was making sure that all the parts were properly reattached in such a way that the internal mechanisms still worked properly. Fortunately, there was already a footprint from the original epoxy job to use as a guide.

Well, this is not a good sign for the new year…

Did I come across an original, screen-used Star Trek Phaser One that was taken home by a Paramount employee, and abused by their children?

View attachment 1652842View attachment 1652843

Nope…this is what happens when you are transporting props in a neglectful way.

In this case, I was rotating some props and books from my office into storage. The hero phaser was sitting on a stack of books that I was carrying down into the basement, with all the care of a caveman with a pile of sticks…in a state of mental impairment, I misjudged a step, stumbled slightly, and watched the phaser slide off of the books that I was holding and crash onto the remaining steps and then onto the basement floor, essentially cracking and shattering. The dislodged internals make a nice rattle and the shattered fiberglass body is a wonder to behold (The acrylic half round and front emitter plate are only temporarily in-place for the pictures.).

Well, this restoration will be my first project for 2023. The original build was designed to look slightly screen-used but not THIS screen-used.

Look upon my disgrace and let my stupidity be a life lesson for everyone. Handle your props with the care that they deserve.

Shooting Star GIF

Do you have a pic of what it looked like before?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back