How to create a stone texture?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

GBrittelleJr

I'm wondering if there's a simple technique out there to replicate the subtle, uneven texture of, say a slab of stone?

Here's what I'm doing, in case it helps. I'm building a comic Mjolnir hammer from the Thor comics. And the mystical metal Uru from which it is forged is described as a metal which looks like stone (Uru - Marvel Comics Database).

So I want to replicate that with a subtle texture. I don't mean the krylon rattle can spray. I mean thru possibly bondo or something on the surface of the hammer? I don't know, I'm just spitballing here. Hopefully one of you has a great and wonderful suggestion.

Thanks!

Greg

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Contec

Master Member
I did a stone texture on a smaller prop by covering the prop with a thin layer of bondo and before it had harden i pressed a flat but textured stone against the bondo. thus creating the same texture. Then it only needed a good stone paint to look "real"

Stivie

you can also use a crumpled up piece of aluminum foil and press it into the bond for texture as well.