How to create a stone texture?

GBrittelleJr

I'm wondering if there's a simple technique out there to replicate the subtle, uneven texture of, say a slab of stone?

Here's what I'm doing, in case it helps. I'm building a comic Mjolnir hammer from the Thor comics. And the mystical metal Uru from which it is forged is described as a metal which looks like stone (Uru - Marvel Comics Database).

0ec36390.jpg

483562e2.jpg

e569d4cd.jpg

So I want to replicate that with a subtle texture. I don't mean the krylon rattle can spray. I mean thru possibly bondo or something on the surface of the hammer? I don't know, I'm just spitballing here. Hopefully one of you has a great and wonderful suggestion.

Thanks!

Greg

Last edited:
I did a stone texture on a smaller prop by covering the prop with a thin layer of bondo and before it had harden i pressed a flat but textured stone against the bondo. thus creating the same texture. Then it only needed a good stone paint to look "real"

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back