HOW-TO convert your NIKE MAG's (Markpoon's) Episode 5 is up

Another beginner question but do these inverters look like they should work? Two of them are for 12V batteries so I am just not sure if that affects anything.
CL-IPTC-3v-3-7FT
12V EL wire/tape inverter ID: 448 - $4.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
X-Small EL panel inverter 12v DC - $15.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Yes and no. They will work but if you use a 12v inverter then it limits the power supplied to the EL sheet and the EL will not be that bright.

Yes and no. They will work but if you use a 12v inverter then it limits the power supplied to the EL sheet and the EL will not be that bright.

What about using an A23 Battery. They are affordable, are commonly used in car alarms, are 12V and much smaller than a standard 9V battery. They only thing I don't know is how long they would last driving EL sheet.

Given this is a Mark Poon MAG thread, I had some larger SWOOSH's made up and this is how they look when fitted on the shoes.

attachment.php

I actually used reflective tape instead of flat white.

Last edited:
What about using an A23 Battery. They are affordable, are commonly used in car alarms, are 12V and much smaller than a standard 9V battery. They only thing I don't know is how long they would last driving EL sheet..

I have tried using the A23 battery and it only will last maybe 30 minutes or so. It's not the EL sheet but the LED's that drain the battery.

I was thinking of doing the following.

instead of having leds, i was thinking of just having all el sheet.

so el for the mag strap, then el for the soles, and then maybe 3 different coloured small el bits for the heel instead of led. So a completely EL Lighted shoe.

Might try something different!

I think Clonemag is preparing to run a 6v inverter with 2 watch batteries, and he's running led's, so im sure watch batteries can last long enough.

About 3-4 hours

hi
i was wanting to ask you,

what do you think the official nike mag grey material is made out of?

i showed a close up pic of it to a friend, and they said it might be a wool type material?

im trying to find out and get a material, but if its cotton, or wool, if you took these out in the rain, wouldn't they get soaked and be hard to dry?

or do you think Nike used a special material?

i went down to the fabric store, and could only find cotton and polyester materials which had a similar pattern to the official nike mag grey material.

hi

what do you think the official nike mag grey material is made out of?

or do you think Nike used a special material?

I believe that NIKE commissioned this fabric. But it looks very similiar to Vintage Jumbo Weave Spandex.

I am fairly certain that it would be a synthetic material, so that it wouldn't be destroyed with wear.

About 3-4 hours
I have a question? is there a trick to make the led lights stay on longer than 3 to 4 hours . My el panel glows for 6 1/2 hours close to 7 hours on one 9 volt battery /My problem is my led lights only last for 4 hours but i do admire that my led lights shut of one by one like the real mags do ...green lights last for 1 hour then they cut off yellow lights last for a hour then they cut off the red last longer than the rest they stay on for a 1 hour 1/2 *is this good ? or am i doing something wrong please inform me thank you for your time .

Another beginner question but do these inverters look like they should work? Two of them are for 12V batteries so I am just not sure if that affects anything.
CL-IPTC-3v-3-7FT
12V EL wire/tape inverter ID: 448 - $4.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
X-Small EL panel inverter 12v DC - $15.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
adafruit.com/products/448]12V EL wire/tape inverter ID: 448 - $4.95 i ordered the same inverter the box is balky i know in the pic it looks small but it is not im trying to fit this inverter in my sole / i ripped open the blue box and balloon warped it for water proofing but so far its looking a little impossible to fit will keep you up on progress

OK, so a 9V it is :cool
I have been doing a number of testing for the best results for long lasting light display and the most i can get of a 24 hr charge now is 8 hrs this is amazing twice the time with double the batteries 2 /9volt rechargeables ** yes this dose work i have been testing this theory for 2 days now and it seems to be the only solution for my rechargeable built in batteries to last for the longest time possible no heat or blown fuse /. batteries are 9volt rechargeable energizers i hope this helps

Last edited:
hi
how big is the measurements for the nike logo for the strap?

and also for the el sheet for the logo, how much are the measurements?

thanks

a quick question on the LED's.

What type of LED's are best? and how long would they last?
thanks

I just bought another inverter, its a 2 x coin cell cr2032 (6v) powered inverter.

I tested it on a small piece the size of the nike logo and it works fine.

Would this 6v inverter be ok to power the 12 led's and additional el in the sole?

Since you already made a wiring diagram using 9v inverter with resistors, not sure whether I could use the same wiring method but keep the 6v inverter instead?

or would I need to change something such as resistors?

Im trying to test out further combinations to see if they last long enough.

thanks

A question on the strap that comes with the Kmags,
its pvc/fake leather type, but one side of it has a small thin 1mm foam backing on it which gives it a bit of thickness.

the pvc/fake leather ive bought from the shop is very thin, and not backed by anything. So if i glue two of the sheets together like jedifyfe does in his tutorial, I think they would be thinner than the kmags one, and not as strong.

Do you guys suggest sticking some thin foam backing when creating a new strap? or is thinner better? when you got your leather/pvc vinyl for the strap, did it come backed with any fabric or was it just plain?

thanks

You need to explain the soldering of the LEDs more. Or provide close up pictures. Mainly focusing on when you're doing to actual soldering. And With the resistors. I have searched for a long time and can't find a good tutorial.

You need to explain the soldering of the LEDs more. Or provide close up pictures. Mainly focusing on when you're doing to actual soldering. And With the resistors. I have searched for a long time and can't find a good tutorial.

He doesn't NEED to do anything, what he has done so far is beyond and above what most prop makers would do here. Try using the word please ;-)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back