How to age or remove color from circuit board fiberglass?

belloq

Sr Member
Is there any way to gently remove color from a PCB (printed circuit board) made of FR4 fiberglass that is a bit too bright a yellow? Hot water, bleach, peroxide, acetone, sunlight...?

Solder mask can be dissolved in a boiling hot solution of sodium hydroxide (also known as lye, caustic soda). Acetone has little or no effect.

The actual fibreglass substrate... I dunno. The resin in FR4 should be an epoxy.
Maybe submerging in a warm solution of hydrogen peroxide for a few hours, like when "retr0brighting" yellowed ABS plastic.

Edit: I googled a little. The epoxy in FR4 should not be harmed by hydrogen peroxide but there might be microscopic gaps in the substrate where it may enter and later when h2o2 decomposes into oxygen and hydrogen those bubbles could cause delamination under stress. source.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Yes, the board is not functional and I do not need to touch the mask- just want to make paler the yellow color of the FR4 itself. I read online today that acetone may whiten the FR4 a bit as it degrades the epoxy. Will try a test of dipping a sample for various lengths of time.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back