How To Age Laminated Cards?

eltee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I want to give some laminated WWII era identification cards an aged look. They are laminated in heat sealed plastic and look too new and not old and worn. I was thinking about fine steel wool or super fine sandpaper or something along those lines.

Thanks for any ideas.

Steel wool or sandpaper would scratch them up a bit and you could soften the edges.

How about also using paint to add some age?

As an aside, were ID cards laminated in WWII? I've seen some of my grandad's IDs, and my dad's from when he was a kid, and they were just card.

Hmm, even 20/30 year old plastic becomes yellow and brittle. I'm not sure how to simulate that, but personally I'd try heat. Maybe a long period in a low oven?

Steel wool or sandpaper would scratch them up a bit and you could soften the edges.

As an aside, were ID cards laminated in WWII? I've seen some of my grandad's IDs, and my dad's from when he was a kid, and they were just card.

There are laminated 1944 dated US military ID cards. Don't know when they changed from the card ID's

Copies of 1940's cards.

Many IDs had plastic lamination back then but many were not laminated. I've seen both.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back