How to add muscle shading to a superhero costume?

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Devil Master, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Devil Master

Devil Master New Member

I've seen this picture of a comic-style Batman suit:
    [​IMG]
    There is no muscle undersuit under it, all muscle effects are obtained with simple color shading. I would like to have a superhero costume that uses the same technique, but I don't even know where to start (that is, after getting a suit of the right size). Is there a tutorial anywhere that explains how to add the muscle effect to a custom superhero costume?

2. Master Dahark

Master Dahark Well-Known Member

I would like to know as well-- as I have an OK suit already and can't blow $300+ on a suit like in that picture

3. slimesquare

slimesquare Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks like you could make a template and then use an air brush to achieve that. Make a template of the muscles you want to be shown, then trace it over tape or foamies and stick it to the suit then air brush with a darker color. Just make sure you mask off where you dont want the paint to go

4. Devil Master

Devil Master New Member

It looks more complex than that. Look at the abs, from top to bottom: the color changes gradually from light to dark, then it changes much more quickly to light again. That's what makes realistic shading: using an airbrush would result in uniform shading all around, and masking areas of the suit would result in a sudden interruption in the darker color.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Hold the airbrush close for the dark areas and back it away to lighten up. Practice on an old sheet first or there might be disaster. :cry

chimichangaz likes this.
  6. Gearsofhalo

Gearsofhalo Active Member

no guys...this is a dye sublimated print done by Brad aka Spidey4fun...he isnt taking any orders right now i believe, but there are other bros that do this. This is a technique done using a pattern made on the computer. The pattern is then printed onto the spandex and sewn up. Sorry Master Dahark, just getting it printed alone without being sewn is usually $200.00 this is no airbrush.

7. fettster

fettster Sr Member

That suit has the shading printed on however if you know someone who is a competent airbrush artist, they could airbrush the shading whilst you wore the suit, don't use templates as that would leave a hard line, just need someone who knows how to use a decent airbrush

chimichangaz likes this.
  8. Gearsofhalo

Gearsofhalo Active Member

and someone who knows muscle structure!

9. slimesquare

slimesquare Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Didnt think about the line it would leave, but I think this could be captured by a good air brush artist like you said fettster

chimichangaz likes this.